pepe

RSPCA

Not had this problem myself but how much space do the RSPCA actually want you to have? Presumably you will have a run as well so where is the problem? If you are keen to 'rehome' rather than 'buy' there must be other animal sanctuaries near you?

Although I have no personal experience of the RSPCA I have heard from those who have that they make things very difficult! I know several people who have tried to rehome animals from them and have given up and gone to local charities/sanctuaries where they have been welcomed with open arms. (BTW, these friends are all animal loving and have had really great facilities to offer.) Clearly any rehoming centre must make sure that certain standards are to be met before they allow an animal to be paired with a new owner but the RSPCA seems to make it especially hard!

I have no personal experience of the RSPCA I have heard from those who have that they make things very difficult!

Same here. A friend of mine wanted to adopt 2 cats from one of their centres and said she thought it would be almost as difficult to adopt a child!!

In the end she gave up and went to a different animal shelter instead - which makes you wonder why they moan so much that animals aren't being adopted.

That being said, I have to confess: having kept guinea pigs and pet rabbits before, I probably wouldn't keep them in an Eglu either.

I don't think the eglu is the problem, but rather the run?

Rabbits apparently need at least a 2 m long run to stretch their legs and also more hidyholes in the run itself. But considering people keep rabbits in those plastic containers in the house, an eglu would be an upgrade any day...

Thanks for your replies, apparently the RSPCA said a 3m run would be fine, but the sheltered area need to be at least 1m sq, the eglu is short by 20cms!!! I had 2 bunnies living very happily many years ago in the eglu. At the moment I have 2 Guinea pigs in one with a 2m run & they love it :) I was just thinking of buying another eglu. I have contacted a local rescue to see if they approve.

Off topic but when my sisters marriage broke down she had to rehome her dogs and she did so through the RSPCA Fast forward 7 years and she is now remarried with a little girl and thought she would give back to those that helped her. She approached the RSPCA about rehoming a dog, they refused on the basis, she had had her dogs rehomed before therefore they wouldn't place another dog with her.

I found an Eglu review from an animal charity

who got a freebie, but is sometimes over harsh, sometimes makes valid points. I kept Dutch house rabbits years ago, so some of them had the run of the house (my advice, don’t). Mostly rabbits eat, pee, have amorous encounters and flop. Occasionally they like to run around zigzagging and flicking their back legs. This is practising the running away defence they use against foxes, which does work. They are also fond of leaping onto high surfaces (window sill height). After this exercise they flop for hours. They don’t really like being lifted to chest height or picked out of their core territory. They don’t have to constantly forage as they do in the wild, so they do take it easy. I just got two new bunnies after years of self restraint and am planning to get an Omlet set up, which after seeing the review will be the lower height walk in cage for exercise with me crawling in to bond with them. I’ll attach a Go for Spring to Autumn use, but I’m not sure about winter, as I think they’ll need to be in the ‘garage’. Since there are enough rabbit owners that let them breed to educate the kids, run loose in the garden until a fox gets them or let them ‘escape’ from their cages as an excuse to their kids (my next door neighbour), any home with love has to be better than stuck in charity holding pens. Great principles, but let’s face it, it’s a type of human hoarding behaviour. That’s why I haven’t rehomed pets apart from two separate on the spot hamsters. Just seems an over harsh dictatorial stance.