Mrs_B

Are these two pullets?

Hello - been a while since I've posted but I was in a pet shop earlier who were selling two chickens - they didn't know the sex and I was sure the black pekin was a pullet and the other I want sure but I'd love to know. Not that I'll but them or anything (ahem!)

I haven't got the best photos as they were shy!

Edit: Photos in a few posts down.

TIA. B x

Edited by Guest

I managed to source a photo of the chickens when they were 3 months - they are about 4 months old now if that helps?

chook14_zpszcesrs23.jpg

chook15_zps5bvjuv4i.jpg

Now I am on a laptop, photos below (I tried to zoom in a bit):

chook11_zpsgi2qhunp.jpg

chook13_zpsxicpyyo0.jpg

chook12_zpsnolkdaxm.jpg

Breeder thinks they are both hens, but the person she got the Frizzle from wasn't 100% sure, so she can't guarantee it either. Ah, they are so lovely though!

B x

Edited by Guest

Sorry, can't tell from the photos, but neither of them looks particularly happy/perky

Thanks, Dogmother. That's quite sad to know actually - I think they've been at the pet shop for about a month now and they don't have a huge amount of space (though not terrible at all compared to some chickens I've seen). I don't think they're selling as they are unsexed so people don't want to make the commitment - I can't have males right now as my neighbours have said no otherwise I would really consider picking them up tomorrow.

Again, hard to tell from the photos - sorry. We need to see legs, posture and how the feathers are formed, so the whole bird. The pekin could well be a pullet, but not easy to see properly. frizzles of any breed are notoriously difficult to sex.

We're usually pretty good at this, so sorry that we can't help.

One word of warning though - don't ever buy a bird because you feel sorry for it - they usually end up being a problem health-wise.

Again, hard to tell from the photos - sorry. We need to see legs, posture and how the feathers are formed, so the whole bird. The pekin could well be a pullet, but not easy to see properly. frizzles of any breed are notoriously difficult to sex.

We're usually pretty good at this, so sorry that we can't help.

One word of warning though - don't ever buy a bird because you feel sorry for it - they usually end up being a problem health-wise.

No problem at all - I really appreciate the advice on this site (always come back one point or another!)

I am one of those people who feels sorry for animals and I dwell a lot - so I will take your advice seriously, thank you.

I have a few more photos that I didn't think were much good - but I shall add anyway :)

chook16_zpslqiwfezm.jpg

chook18_zpsltsmbgro.jpg

chook17_zpsxyiarzgp.jpg

bantams_zpskkgmdetm.jpg

B x

Thank you for your advice. The last photo was from when they arrived at the pet shop, so very sad to know they don't look happy. The white one in the photo was sold separately, which now thinking about it seems odd.

I'd like to rehome them but I will take your advice on board.

This is the first time I was considering getting chickens from a different place to what I normally do - normally a poultry farm - so a pet shop was a different experience.

I live in Cheltenham - I normally travel to Newland Poultry in Malvern as they have always been exceptional (both as a bird supplier, boarding and advice). I went to this pet shop because I knew they sold live meal worms and I wanted some for my girls as they are moulting so thought they'd like some live ones rather than the dried sort - then I ended up getting distracted and spotted the chickens they had for sale. I asked the staff but they couldn't be 100% sure on the sex - they were almost certain they were pullets but couldn't guarantee (although they are about 4 months old now).