kambro

various chicken food and fermenting

I’m so new that my Eglu Cube hasn’t even arrived yet. I am excited!

I’m curious what others are feeding their chickens. I used to feed mine only layer pellets from a farm supply store and kitchen scraps. I started reading about fermenting chicken feed and now do that. My girls seem more healthy, and a bonus is the feed lasts about three times as long because it expands. 

What else can I (should I) feed them? Are others fermenting chicken feed? What about growing wheat grass sprouts? Is there another dry food I should be adding?

The way I ferment their feed is to thoroughly cover with water, strain the liquid, then refill with more dry feed, adding more water to the strained liquid.  Are there other feed fermenters on here? 

I'd never heard of fermenting until now! :$  Without reading up on the subject, I think I'd worry about fermenting, especially in the summer with the potential for mould and possible bacteria to grow in it #yesIworrytoomuch

In 10 years I've never had any chooks that would eat layers pellets so have always fed them layers mash, some years ago in this forum everyone was raving about Garvo feed, so I got some for my girls, they loved it so I've bought it ever since. 

I don’t see Garvo feed sold where I live (USA). You only worry about bacteria if you don’t change the water and mist keep things clean. It’s like fermented foods. 

My chickens love it, finish it all. Maybe it’s more popular here in America than elsewhere?

• Like 1

Mine only eat layers pellets ( Smallholders) with the odd handful of mixed corn in the afternoon if it's really cold.  I also buy spring greens for them a couple of times a week.  Kitchen scraps like pasta but not since we had the rat problem.  As only one bantam is laying ( out of 8, but 2 are cockerels) my solitary egg is gold plated! 

I can see the benefits of fermenting mixed grain, which is the 'chicken feed' referred to in the Google articles, as it then digests more quickly and completely. With dry grain you can often see undigested bits in the poo. However pellets is another matter as our experience is of wet pellets going sour and mouldy in a matter of hours and have seen chickens completely avoid it after that period. There is no substitute for ranging on grass and ours eat a lot of it, but it must be kept short to avoid crop and digestive impactions. We do feed cabbage, but it must be chopped or again there are impaction problems. Make sure they have mixed grit otherwise they can't grind any solid food to digest it properly.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:01 AM, Reikiranf said:

I'd never heard of fermenting until now! :$  Without reading up on the subject, I think I'd worry about fermenting, especially in the summer with the potential for mould and possible bacteria to grow in it #yesIworrytoomuch

In 10 years I've never had any chooks that would eat layers pellets so have always fed them layers mash, some years ago in this forum everyone was raving about Garvo feed, so I got some for my girls, they loved it so I've bought it ever since. 

If you like Garvo, then try them on Dr Green co***** mash from www.farmandpetplace.co.uk - more or less the same and far cheaper. I sometimes cut it in with their regular pellets.

• Like 1