Louwood

Newbie Chicken keeper

I am getting my Eglu go up tmrw with 3 meter run and then my 3 silkie hens in 4 weeks time. I need lots of tips for looking after them, what I can feed them etc. I am going to let them out of the run every day for a few hours. Also any tips for introducing them to my terrier cross dog. I am keen to try get my dog to be able to go in the garden even when there in their coop so he doesn't bark at them or torment them- I know this. will take time

Also what about neighbours ? I live in a new housing development in countryside and have a neighbour at one side of me and behind my garden. Did you approach them and tell them or ask them? I have just went ahead so far in the hope they won't mind. How smelly or noisey will 3 hens be?

Thanks in advance !  

Be patient and people will help!!

If your hens are of laying age when you get them, you should feed them layers pellets. These contain all the nutrients your hens will need. In addition you can give them a small amount of mixed corn at bedtime. It’s best not to feed too many treats, but other titbits that are good are mealworms and green veggies.

How they will get in with your dog really depends more on the dog than the chickens. As long as the dog doesn’t chase them the chickens probably won’t be all that bothered.

I live in a small town in Cornwall in a detached property with a fairly large garden now but in an end of terrace with a small garden when I first got my girls. I didn’t tell my neighbours because I didn’t really think it was any of their business and I knew they’d find out soon enough! I currently have 4 bantams. They’re very quiet in the winter - only really make a noise if something upsets them, but can often be quite noisy in the spring and summer. As well as shouting after egg laying there can be a lot of noisy moaning around egg laying time.

As long as you keep them clean they won’t be smelly at all.

Hope that helps.

We just got our first hens (3 of them) two months ago and didn't speak to our neighbours about it. We have a detached bungalow with neighbours behind and to one side.  They free-range all day and hardly make any noise. They're not smelly at all but don't expect an immaculate garden. At the end of every day, ours looks like a tornado has been through it!

We don't have a dog now but have in the past. As you have a cross terrier I'd be wary. Keep it on the lead for introductions and to get used to them, but as it's got terrier in it I, personally, wouldn't leave them alone with the dog.

Thank you ! I know he will want to chase them so was hoping to try train him but if not then they will be in their run when hes in the garden. I am planning to gate off their area down the side of the garden so the dog can't get to the coop

Will play it by ear I guess! 

My eglu go up arrived today. I made the coop part. Still got all the run to build ! 

The feeder lid arrived broken so omlet sending me out a new one. I am getting my hens in about 6 weeks so plenty of time to sort it all. Need to get some wood chip , feed etc 

Ps the coop wont be on the patio just put it there today. 

Does anyone use a compost bin?

IMG_20180406_174505_015.jpg

I have a compost heap and put all the poo on there along with the odd hardwood chip that I skip out and any easichick bedding that needs changing. I have two compost bins so I tend to fill one which takes about 12 months then leave it to compost for 12 months before spreading it on the garden at which time most bits and pieces and definitely all the poo is well composted. The ideal is to have 3 bins but I don’t have room.