Luvachicken

The cost of Flubenvet

I need some Flubenvet so asked my vet if they could get some.

For a 60g pot it's going to cost £40 :o

I said about the internet and she said I could have a prescription for £12.50 to then buy it, but what I looked at didn't need a prescription, you just had to say what animal it was for and their age.

If I had that, it worked out as basically the same price as what I could get at the vets.

But what I don't understand is that I can just buy the Flubenevt anyway without the prescription on the internet.

What was more frustrating was the fact that all of the people I phoned could only sell me a pot where the use by date was July '18.

One person told me it doesn't have a long shelf life which I know isn't true because when I've bought it before I've the date has been for at least a year.

Anyone know why it is so expensive now ?

I wish my wages went up by at least £10 a year :wink:

Wow!  That is expensive, it was about £14 when I first got chickens 10 years ago.  Looks like a bit of price fixing going on, wherever I find it cheaper, the postage brings it up to around the £32 mark, still cheaper than the vet though and you don't need a prescription, it may work out cheaper to buy feed with it already in.  Could you club together with a friend and share a tub? 

11 hours ago, Reikiranf said:

Wow!  That is expensive, it was about £14 when I first got chickens 10 years ago. 

Yes, I remember paying a similar price all that time ago too.

It has gradually crept up and up.

I will look into the pellets with it added.

Thanks everyone :-D

I always use the pre-medicated pellets. They do always seem to have a short shelf life though (I assume that’s because the drug degrades quickly) so for my 4 bantams I just buy the 5kg bag. In the past, when I’ve been more organised I’ve shared with another Omleteer but most of the time I do end up chucking a couple of kg’s away.

Gosh......I'm going to have to go and have a look at my Flubenvet!!  I didn't realise there was an expiry date - I'm sure there wasn't years ago when I had poultry before??!!   I wonder whether it would just be easier to buy a 5kg bag for my five seramas and throw the rest in the future?? ¬¬

Yep, my old flubenvet powder used to last a while - at least a whole year.  Then we couldn't get it for a while because they sold the company and the new one couldn't cope.  Since then it's got expensive.  The last lot I bought from Moles - but I only used it once - the next time I used it I realised it was out of date!  So I bought the 5kg of pellets - which they'd rather starve than have.  At least the powder I could dose tea time corn as well as the pellets - I do prefer the powder to be honest.

Vet meds direct has £28.30 for a pot - then again as it's discounted/on offer it probably is a short lived item!   Viovet is competing at £28.29 for a pot.  I've bought stuff from both of these companies before - but I don't know what postage is.

Have phoned most of the usual places to ask about the date and they all seem to have July'18.

I phoned Farm and Pet Place as suggested by DM and they also told me they had Flubenvet with a July'18 date but he did add that there was probably a problem with the manufacturer and that's why everyone has the same date.

Anyway, I ordered the 5kg medicated pellets from them and will see how we get on.

They jolly well better eat them. 

23 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Have phoned most of the usual places to ask about the date and they all seem to have July'18.

I phoned Farm and Pet Place as suggested by DM and they also told me they had Flubenvet with a July'18 date but he did add that there was probably a problem with the manufacturer and that's why everyone has the same date.

Anyway, I ordered the 5kg medicated pellets from them and will see how we get on.

They jolly well better eat them. 

Please let us know Luvachicken!! 

Well, they weren't too impressed when I first let them out into the run this morning.

I changed the food over once they had gone to bed last night - the pellets arrived yesterday afternoon.

They pecked at the food and chucked it on the floor but by the time I got back from work after lunch they were eating it.

But they decided to punish me by not laying any eggs today :roll: