Hello!

I live in Sweden and I am trying to find out how well the Eglu works in the winter. I can't find anything here in Sweden
or the UK because I live in the North of Sweden and we have so much colder here than down there and sometimes for more than a week at the time. (-30 Celsius, -22 Fahrenheit)
So I wonder if there is anyone here that lives up north and use the Eglu during cold winters? Do you still let them out all day?
Is there anything special I should think about before the winter comes? I really like the cube  and feel like it's a better option than
the wooden houses, but it's the size during the winter that I'm worried about.

Appreciate all the answer I can get!

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Wow! That is cold.  One winter we got down to -12 for a short time and mine were fine in the cube at night. I just shut the door when normally I leave it open.  They free ranged during the day when the main problem was keeping their water thawed.    I know that Omlet now sell an extreme weather jacket for the cube.  I think I'd contact them though and ask their advice.  My concern would be the impact of the cold on the plastic in the longer term.  I think the chickens would be fine. 

Edited by Patricia W

Well hello ttmattson and everyone on the site. This is my first post and I have found my way here after ordering an Eglu Cube this past Thursday. I live in Eastern Canada and at times we have very harsh winters. Very much like ttmattson. Not wanting to hijack the post but am very interested in this topic. 

Thanks in advance. 

I think you would have to move the Cube into a warm barn and let the chickens run inside the barn, rather than letting them roam outside as -30C is far too cold. I have seen pictures of a large insulated shed used to house chickens over Winter. 

I think Beantree is right. Sleeping in the cube won’t be a problem I guess, but the chickens running around in -30 would in the long run. Their exposed bits like their comb might get frostbitten. 

I'll be speaking with several folks I know who have successfully wintered their laying hens for years. I'll be taking their advice and come up with a solution. the folks I ordered my cube from also seem to be quite knowledgeable and helpful. Sounds like a great source as other customers here in Canada give feedback to the supplier.

After doing a google image search for "Eglu Cube snow" I found some great pictures that helps understand what to expect. 

If you have Cube outside in winter, definitely keep clearing snow off the roof. I have A Go Up (yes I know, totally different coop) and even a little snow moves the plastic panels and makes it hard to open the back door. 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:08 AM, Cat tails said:

If you have Cube outside in winter, definitely keep clearing snow off the roof. I have A Go Up (yes I know, totally different coop) and even a little snow moves the plastic panels and makes it hard to open the back door. 

Thank you would this be allot of snow? My driveway 2015, 

IMG_0028.JPG

:shock: :lol:

I think I need to show this to my spoiled chickens! One snowflake snd they won’t come out of the coop, into the run, for days... They are terrified of snow. I literally have to give them breakfast in bed.

• Haha 1

O.o:o:lol:

My hens are like CatT's. They hate the snow (and rain) and are definitely fairweather girls! Actually, when I think about, they're a bit like me :lol:.

Yes, that is definitely a lot of snow.

• Haha 1

Mind you not all winters are like that, this yer we had more rain. No matter what winter brings my plan will be to attach my Cube to a larger temporary walk in pen in order to shovel it out and let the birds get the sun.

On 2018-04-18 at 11:45 PM, stepnout said:

Mind you not all winters are like that, this yer we had more rain. No matter what winter brings my plan will be to attach my Cube to a larger temporary walk in pen in order to shovel it out and let the birds get the sun.

Our winter was exactly like in your picture and when we got that much snow the temperature doesn't usually drop down to -30c that easy but this year's been a disaster. I wish you good luck with your cube!

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll try to find a solution!

• Like 1