Well - it didn’t seem right to buy and incubator and only use it for 2 days. Or to hatch what started as 12 eggs and end up with only one hen (who was actually one I bought as a day old anyway) - the boys are lovely but will moving on.

So last week I bought 4 lavender pekin and 3 laced Wyandotte bantam eggs from a place I could drive to so the eggs didn’t have to go in the post. I candled them today and I’m pretty sure I have 3 growing pekins and 1 Wyandotte. I was really hoping for a couple of pekin girls and at least 1 Wyandotte, but with only the total of 4 fertile I’m going to have to be lucky! I’m usually not.

I plan to keep this going as a blog, but can anyone tell me if that’s a normal fertility rate or poor?

I usually hope for half fertile and half girls so 4 out of 7 ain't bad :)

We tried to hatch our Call Duck eggs recently but I think the person who has the incubator was opening it regularly to check on them (she said they could see movement when they candled on the last day) as 5/7 fertile resulted in none hatching :(

Now I have some Marans eggs in there so will hope for better luck this time!

• Like 1

Oh no Lewis how annoying. Fingers crossed for the Marans. I candled again this evening which is day 10 and everything still looks the same. 3 growing pekins and 1 Wyandotte. The ‘clear’ ones have obvious air cells but that doesn’t mean they’re going to develop does it? Would you remove those ones now?

Please would someone confirm for me...

I’m hatching (hopefully) pekins and Wyandotte bantams in a brinsea mini II advance incubator. I’ve had the water chamber filled below the line so far which if I’ve followed the brinsea instructions correctly will hopefully have given me the right humidity so far.

Do I switch the turning off AND increase the humidity at day 15 (which would be tomorrow) because they’re bantams? Or turning at 15 and humidity at 18? Or both at 18? 

I always dry hatch now so don't add any water during incubation or hatching. If you've already started adding water then I would do as the Brinsea manual says.

Increase humidity and stop turning on the same day (Day 15 or 16 for bantams). Once you've stopped turning don't open the incubator again until they've all finished hatching, regardless of how much water is left. If it needs topping up just ignore it :) 

Well we now have 2 pekins to join the Wyandotte. I’m slightly concerned about them though. They’re both very ‘sit-downy’. Hopefully this is just because they only hatched this morning so they’re not quite up to speed yet and they’ll be running about with the Wyandotte tomorrow.

One of the pekins definitely has a problem though - the one that pipped in the middle of the shell has curled toes. To be honest we were amazed it managed to make it out of its shell - and in normal time - so if the toes are it’s only problem I’ll be pretty happy. I’ve made it ‘duck feet’ with micropore tape to try to straighten them out - fingers crossed!

4B0F4899-A579-43AF-95EB-66B1A492402D.jpeg

26533D5D-FAD3-4E1A-9F96-3BD39DEA9886.jpeg

1640B9C4-8516-4649-9D66-BC17DBB7FCFC.jpeg

DF812A8D-508B-43CF-8F75-57C8A7084330.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s Duck with her (thinking positive!) toes after having tape ‘paddles’ on them for about 36 hours. They’re not quite straight and her feet are slightly turned in I think but she’s getting around just like the others. Can anyone tell me if they’ll be ok or if I should have another go?

D96FB945-BB42-4114-94F2-10F91859B080.jpeg

A3930BDB-8ECD-419D-867C-F53AE18FC268.jpeg

Edited by mullethunter
Add photos and note