AnneEgg

"Fighting" Breed Advice???!!!

Hi there.

We have a feral flock locally, some of which I wish to rehome.  It's RUMOURED they are from a fighting breed, or fighting stock, and therefore a bit feisty.  If anyone wants to introduce these to an existing flock, does anyone here know whether chicks would integrate better than adults?  I'd hate for a friend to take on a chook or two that harms their existing pets! 

I have no idea what breed these are, or even if they are what they're said to be, but I'm just asking the question in case..!  I don't have any chickens at the moment, so they won't be squabbling with any when I bring them home.  I'm asking for others, really.  Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

What do you mean by a fighting  breed?  Any chicken which is allowed to be feral will not be used to people and so may respond aggressively.  Especially cockerels and the ‘top’ hens.  I have a very feisty cockerel who we are wary of!  

Ditto

Some breeds are used for fighting mainly because they have more muscle mass, or the males tend to grow bigger spurs - usually the Asian hard feathers. They do need to be trained though.

Most cockerels will fight another cock anyhow, but they are usually territorial scraps and soon over once dominance has been asserted. 

Personally, I would be wary of trying to integrate them into my own flock;

• they would need to be isolated, treated for parasites and in quarantine or about a month, well away from your own birds, and strict biosecurity measures observed to avoid spreading any diseases
  • IF you do decide to integrate them, then be prepared that they may never be able to live together, and you might end up with separate flocks
  • please read the introduction stickies in the FAQ section, and be prepared to take it very slowly

Yes, everyone is prepared to keep separate for a month.  I've also been told of a vet that might be able to do some kind of health-check.  The best info we have is as folllows...  "They are a hardfeather type, maybe Carlisle, oeg or oxford game type, lovely birds but renowned for being feisty."

So, we're all in for an interesting time..!  So far, no one had come forward to say they're prepared to take the roosters, so all will be hens, but still with the potential to be a handful.  I've decided I'll take what I can based on what I catch first.  I have room for up to 18, but if I catch a mum first, I'll just take her and the chicks.  If I catch a lone female, I'll take some of her group friends.  Oh boy - this could all be... fun???!!  Wish us all luck lol

We managed to catch just 8 this morning :(  Several people have already been up and taken quite a few, so I think there might be about 50 less than there were.  The roosters are all going to poultry rescues - a lady drove all the way down from Doncaster today and took at least 3 roosters to her sanctuary, along with another 5 of indeterminate sex.  The flocks' BIG Daddy is on the road to Yorkshire as I type, but much more work is needed.  The biggest problem is the lack of council upkeep of the area - it's so overgrown you can't get to the little s*ds LOL

• Like 1