freerange

Dogs & free range hens?

Millie, my miniature poodle is totally trustworthy with the chooks, she has absolutely no interest in them at all. Freda, who is a littler terrier is another matter.

She can be out with the chooks but only on stict supervision. The original omlet chooks panic and run which sets Freda off chasing, but the newer ex bats are not fazed by her, and will even charge at her or peck her on the nose :lol: .

Though yeasterday, whilst we were all out, I forgot and wandered off to another part of the garden and Freda took the opportunity to chase the omlet chooks. She got sent straight inside, but ten minutes later I noticed I was missing a chicken, went in and one of the ex-bats was in the house, being slowly 'herded' around the lounge by Freda :lol: .

absolutely no problems here with my german shepherd. :) I totally trust her with my chickens, from the beginning when we introduced our 8 week old chickens, she was a little inquisative (sp?) and we told her a stern "no"! and since (14 months later) she has been perfectly fine.

I am happy to let my chooks and dog out in the garden together un-supervised. Ella my big chicken is boss and she wouldnt hesitate to give Bracken a peck if things did happen.

Also the presence of the dog out with my chooks deterrs other predators (cats, foxes etc). Although we dont have a fox problem here,

I have a 2 year old Boxer. He's great with the chickens, he's very interested in them but has never ran at them or anything - to be honest he's more interested in eating all the chicken poo, then when he's finished he runs around the guinea pigs run! The hens just do their own thing, my cockerel Bert keeps an eye on Casper but even Berts a very quiet placid bird and has never shown any aggression to anyone or anything!

Seem to have a good bunch of pets altogether really.

Dyan

I have an elderly labrador who loves all baby things - baby kitties, baby owls, baby hedgehogs which have all been through my house and I am sure nothing will faze her and the hens will be too scary to bother with! - the cats I have soon send her running even if she has done nothing! - they love to chase her and also they love her to bits too!!.