Re: New Eglu Cube and extended pen what do you thi

Reply #9 - 11.09.07 at 15:19:25 I think the Eglu is pretty stylish however the site really needs to get rid of the Fox Resistent run part as this is most definately not true! What you have is a great set up however id be carefull about what kinds of chickens you add.

Within 3 nights a fox managed to get at one of my Poland hens, the fox was never able to remove the whole body, well not most of it anyway. I would not advise getting this product for small breeds of chickens as it is unsafe. There is a pointless space between the roosting pearches and the back of the eglu which I have noticed my Polands have had problems with. The droppings tray also is not very secure, on my Eglu we had to ad on a more secure clipp inorder to raise it as their is a gap large enough to fit ones fingers through,, one wonders how fox would manage to get in this way but on this occasion it did.

What shocked me more however when I phoned up to complain about what had happend, it didn't make me feel any better by the fact that the individual I spoke to admited himself the product was not fox resistent -.-

I don't understand what she means!

The Cube run is fox resistant and the nest box drain hole is located inside of the run!

I think in order to get into the run a fox would have to either dig under it and the skirt. Don't recall anyone ever reporting that. Or it would have to chew through countless finger shredding run clips, if it can figure out thats how the run is held together.

I know foxes are cunning, but do they have a grasp of engineering too!

I think Omlet are being careful not to call it fox 'Proof' for good reason. For someone to suggest that it is not fox resistant they must be a bit dim cause it obviously is. A paper bag is fox resistant! It just wouldn't resist one for very long! :D

Kev.

Kev.

The person goes on to say that the description of the cube on the omlet site is poor and that it doesn't mention what kind of chickens the cube is suitable for. They also mention that the nest box can sit 3 and the cube can hold 10, and how can that possibly be comfortable.

I have replied - in the same way that if you have a flock of 10 chickens, 3 nest boxes is perfectly adequate.

The run (either Eglu or Cube) used to be described as fox-proof, which it isn't.

It is now being described as fox-resistant, which it is.

It is very, very good, but there are slight risks, e.g. if you have very light soil around the skirt or if you have the kind of fox who lies on top of the run all day and swipes with its claws. Small breeds would be more vulnerable.

The Eglu is fox-proof.

The run is fox-resistant.

I think this is what causes the confusion.

My Eglu has night-time fox scratches on the top, but no fox has never got in. I have, however, had a hen killed by a fox through the run during the day.

So I think I am well qualified to make this statement, and I will continue to urge everyone to keep their eglus locked at night. I bet none of you leave your front door open if your garden gate is locked, do you?