Graceh

New to hens- what breed?

Hello.  I have a go up with 2 metre run plus a large walk in run extension. 

I want just 3 hens.  I want at least 1-2 to be good layers,  but would like them all to have easy going temperaments. Any recommendations?  As a new owner- what should I look to buy food/medication/bedding/equipment wise?

i have a few books and read a lot online but like asking around too! Thanks

8 minutes ago, Graceh said:

Hello.  I have a go up with 2 metre run plus a large walk in run extension. 

I want just 3 hens.  I want at least 1-2 to be good layers,  but would like them all to have easy going temperaments. Any recommendations?  As a new owner- what should I look to buy food/medication/bedding/equipment wise?

i have a few books and read a lot online but like asking around too! Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to have some good layers, go for hybrids!

The best laying hen I've had is a white Leghorn - but, sadly, she is quite skittish (which they tend to be), although the Partridge Leghorns are supposedly easier to tame.

After that, it's probably my little brown hens. They're very friendly and get a decent amount of eggs from them. Something like a Rhode Island Red.

My Coucou Maran is very friendly, and so is my Bovans Nera. They don't lay as many as the little brown hens, though.

The only hen I wouldn't recommend based on my own personal experience is a Bluebelle. My hen has always laid softies and she's never been a great layer either.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Get a Cotswold Blacktail (from Cotswold Chickens) they are a really lovely red colour, with soft feathers, a nice nature and good layers. Anything with Araucana in the mix will be a bit batty until they come into lay, but good solid producers of greeny blue eggs. My last choice would be a silver sussex (Daisybelle) very pretty graphite grey bird with silver splashes around the neck, good layer too.

• Like 1

I agree on the hybrid front. They are readily available, fairly cheap and usually vaccinated.

I use Smallholder Layers Pellets and Aubiose as bedding. I wouldn't worry about medication but Vit Boost + and Nutri Drops are useful to have in just in case.