Cat tails

Hamster penthouse

My Syrian hamster needed more space. The Qute wasn’t doing it for her. My previous two gerbils were perfectly happy in the Qute, but this lady just needs more. So I bought a ordinary hamster house (Ferplast) and used the tube to “connect” the two houses. Still need to make a more permanent solution as now I just stick the tube into the door of the Qute and closed the remaning hole with some mesh. But it took the little lady minutes to figure out the way up and is now currently gnawing on the bars of the new house... 😒 (nothing will ever be enough for this hamster. She is just too smart for her little body...)

19AAA159-9D51-4FFA-B193-88FCDD84A251.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Brilliant idea - I also like the cat watching what's going on... "nom nom, dinner" 😂

I was thinking that too.

I think hamsters and gerbils and mice are really cute, but I have hamster related PTSD: every single time I've owned one of those little bas-, I mean, cuties, they've bitten me! Every. Single. One. And for such a small animal, they hurt like hell! They don't mess around either, they go straight for the bone!! 😂

I've told Rich that next year, I am all about the tree frogs. (I really want one, but Rich has just been rolling his eyes at me.)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Brilliant idea - I also like the cat watching what's going on... "nom nom, dinner" 😂

😂

luckily iPoes is way too dumb to figure it all out! Hamster is loving her penthouse! Did just remove the tube for the night. The connection is far from secure. Especially since she is a gnawer...

15 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

I was thinking that too.

I think hamsters and gerbils and mice are really cute, but I have hamster related PTSD: every single time I've owned one of those little bas-, I mean, cuties, they've bitten me! Every. Single. One. And for such a small animal, they hurt like hell! They don't mess around either, they go straight for the bone!! 😂

I've told Rich that next year, I am all about the tree frogs. (I really want one, but Rich has just been rolling his eyes at me.)

This hamster is incredibly well behaved, although I did take my time with her. Didn’t start to pick her up until after a few months. She does nibble, but only when my fingers smell of food. The previous gerbils never bit me.

I’d love a whole zoo if I ever got the chance. (But you can’t pet a frog though...)

• Like 1

We have had dwarf Russian hamsters for a while but now have a Syrian and I absolutley believe 100% that animals,  of whatever size, should have the maximum amount of room possible. We have a big, three tiered cage for Hugo with wire bars for him to climb, several things for him to hide in ( a proper hamster house, Lego ambulance and a paper house which we replace every few weeks as he likes to nibble it.) In addition he gets odd cardboard tubes, small boxes etc to play in. We loved the Qute in terms of design and looks for humans but I would not buy one for my hamster as I don't think it gives enough space and play opportunities for a Syrian - especially a big one! 

Edited by soapdragon
Exhaustion hence inattention

7 hours ago, soapdragon said:

We have had dwarf Russian hamsters for a while but now have a Syrian and I absolutley believe 100% that animals,  of whatever size, should have the maximum amount of room possible. We have a big, three tiered cage for Hugo with wire bars for him to climb, several things for him to hide in ( a proper hamster house, Lego ambulance and a paper house which we replace every few weeks as he likes to nibble it.) In addition he gets odd cardboard tubes, small boxes etc to play in. We loved the Qute in terms of design and looks for humans but I would not buy one for my hamster as I don't think it gives enough space and play opportunities for a Syrian - especially a big one! 

My Syrian now has three and a half tiers, a wooden sleeping house, a willow branch tunnel, two thick cardboard tubes, two egg boxes filled with hay and food, about a metre of plastic tube, a running wheel and another small cardboard box. And STILL prefers to chew the bars instead of all the things that she supposed to chew...  any bigger and she would be in a rat cage. I would free range her if she wouldn’t chew on everything, I had an escape proof kitchen and no cats. But alas.

43 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Good thinking!

I can't see it on the website but when I tested out the Qute with my gerbils they had a double Qute at Omlet HQ, side by side with a hole in the middle - would be a good extension for the Syrians!

Now you mention it, I remember something like that! 

She seems happy enough right now, although she is half way chewing through part of the tube already... 🤦‍♀️

3 minutes ago, Lewis said:

I knew I hadn't imagined it :lol:

It's in an Omlet newsletter from 2012 but not on the website anymore so they must have stopped making them

95fd94ca42002477c3674f9c0c1e201a--gerbil

You are not going crazy Lewis!

Think they must have been to expensive. Think they were meant to be used for breeding, but that is a rather expensive solution.

Edited by Cat tails

Patricia, the other day I noticed in The Works that there was a lovely little craft book on making things for hamsters. It was £3.00 I think .

I was taken by the little house on the front made with lolly sticks and other hamster friendly things.

Could be a nice little gift and keep your grand daughter busy too.