AyeAyeMagpie

Suddenly getting lots of eggs!

So, I'm still very new this keeping chickens thing but I'm pretty certain that it's unusual for chickens to come into lay at the darkest time of year. Just over a week ago one of my Marans and a Silkie started laying, having never done so before. I was expecting them to wait until the longer days started to kick in so I'm a bit surprised. My other Silkie, which was already laying but had gone quiet for a few weeks has started laying regularly again too. I've got about a dozen unexpected eggs in my kitchen now! :)

I have 3 out of 9 laying too - all youngsters and one of them came into lay on the shortest day. I was talking to some friends yesterday who keep hybrids and they both said they’re getting more eggs too than they normally would at this time of year. I always thought egg laying was related to daylight hours but I guess it’s not that simple and that you’re right Patricia and that’s it’s to do with temperature.