Laura007

Pecking block

I think it's basically suet with grains - whatever is their tea-time norm.  Best for winter though as the suet will keep them warm.  Not sure how the manufactured ones are made as they are so hard and packed down.  My lot don't like those!  I do like to use a bird feeder for fat balls but instead I fill it with chopped kale or cabbage - they enjoy that.  Poke a hole through a corn cob and hang it too - apples and whole cabbage can be used too.

I think we spoke about these this morning but I just found:

On 5/3/2009 at 12:03 AM, Redwing said:

You will need a stick of some sort, garden cane works well, cut a piece of cane and drill a hole near one end for hanging it up.

Next collect the ingredients you want to add, mixed corn, pellets etc. Crack a fresh egg into a bowl, mix the egg with a few dessert spoons of flour & a drop of water. So that it forms a runny paste.

Cut a long wide piece of kitchen tin foil. Then in the bowl that you have the mixed egg & flour, add the mixed corn etc, mix it all up so the mixed corn & pellets start to stick together. Give it a good mix so that everything is coated.

Spoon the mix onto the tin foil to make a long sausage shape, you can add the stick through the middle at this stage. Then wrap the foil around the ingredients and press firmly so it sticks together to form a sausage like shape. Then put it in the oven at 120 degrees for an hour to let it dry out slowly. Check it's hard, if not leave a bit longer then let it cool and let the birds test it out.