The Dogmother

Chickens in the heat

Just a reminder to provide plenty of:

Cold water - I have frozen some plastic water bottles (part filled) and put them in the drinkers to keep the water cool. Chickens cool down by excretory heat transfer.... cool water moving through their gut take heat from their internal organs (this will result in slightly splatterier poos, so don't worry unduly.

Shade - create lots of shady areas if you don't already have them. Mist the grass or ground with cold water as that will cool the air and also help them to lose heat through their feet.

Stress relief - they will get easily stressed in this heat, so keep them calm and pop a good quality poultry tonic containing B vits (such as Vit Boost) in their water to keep the stress levels down.

Don't forget that their normal operating temperature is around 105deg, and they can't sweat like us, so keep an eye on them in this hotter spell.

• Thanks 1

105 degrees DM? We put ice blocks in the drinkers. It's 38C here and the first, an 8 year old TNN has come in. The first and the only sign of heat overload is a lot of squawking, after that......  Obviously they pant a bit first and that's the clue to watch carefully. We are spraying the runs with loads of water. They don't like direct spay so send it into the air and they think it is rain. 

We haven't deployed the fans yet- they are keeping the freezers, us and fridge cool.

Bought an extra parasol for the chickens this weekend. Mostly to make sure their drinker is in de shade the whole day. Have a few small bottles frozen too and add them to the drinker.

otherwise I just leave them be. They get much more worked up if I fuss a lot about them and Ginger even decided to have a good sunbathing...

Lily is really struggling :-(

I picked her up earlier because she was stood in the sun with her beak wide open, and popped her by the fan but she almost fell over.

She has been in front of the fan for over an hour and is still wide beaked and sleepy now too.

Do you think I should bring her indoors where it is marginally cooler  with the fan ?

I haven't seen her eat or drink anything since she has been there either.

I feel really sorry for her.

I would put her somewhere cooler and syringe some NutriDrops into her, followed by some cool water to cool her down. Standing her in cool water will help too - they can lose heat through their feet like dogs do, and/or bathe her abdomen with cool (not freezing) water. They also use their combs as a heat sink - increase of blood flow through it to disperse heat - so cooling that is good too.

I went to get her anyway, she had a very poopy bottom again so I gave her a cool bath.

That has cooled her enough for her to close her beak.

She is in a broody cage indoors now with her own fan, asleep.

I hope she cools down  and perks up soon.

Can chickens get heat stroke ?

Thanks DM, she doesn't look too great at the moment :-(

I haven't dried her off this time, is that OK ?

3 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Hope Lily is doing better! :pray:

Thank you Cat tails.

I'm not sure she is going to make it.

I just weighed her so I could work out the nutri drops and she has lost 200g since 4th July.

I have managed to give her the drops and 2 syringes of water with the Avipro in, and that was an effort on her part.

I will wake her up again in about an hour and give her some more Avipro water.

Thank goodness it is the summer holidays now and I was able to check on her earlier in the day than I could normally.

S'up to you Peter - ask any poultry vet and they'll say not to give it to them. Any deviation from their natural diet - seeds, grains, leaves, berries and small creatures - isn't a good idea. There are quite a few things that their digestive system isn't geared up to deal with and this is one of them.  About 15 years ago, there was a bit of a trend towards giving live yoghurt for digestive issues - we all tried it, but it didn't do them any good in the long run.