Peter

Longer days with a light

I have installed a light in the coop to extend the day light to 15hrs. 

The light comes on at 4am until 9am then daylight takes over. 

I will have to see how they are in the morning. 

The local nursery school were looking over the wall at the ladies so I let them stroke them and feed them.

The carers were so please. 

Peter 

We tried that Peter but found that the mess in the coop wasn't worth the trouble for the extra eggs. Water spilled and full of shavings, feed knocked over and all the bedding scratched and messed. Problem is a coop is too small an area for chickens to be active in it. We were also told that the hens must have a 'laying break' of at least two weeks anyway, otherwise their health suffers.

1 hour ago, Beantree said:

We tried that Peter but found that the mess in the coop wasn't worth the trouble for the extra eggs. Water spilled and full of shavings, feed knocked over and all the bedding scratched and messed. Problem is a coop is too small an area for chickens to be active in it. We were also told that the hens must have a 'laying break' of at least two weeks anyway, otherwise their health suffers.

Exactly. Extending 'light hours' causes them a lot of stress, much as you find in battery situations. They are designed to take advantage of the shorter hours to lay less or stop laying, moult and get a rest. Try to keep their habits as natural as possible.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

have noted that there egg laying has reduced so yes I will have to give them a rest.

Good decision Peter - it’ll be much better for them to stick with natural daylight rhythms. They do look like jolly healthy girls in your other photo though.

I bet the children next door love them 😊

Both of my Copper Black Marans have given up for this year already (more or less on the same day as each other too) - normally start again March time. Gladys will wait for the weather to be really cold, then moult and stop laying for winter 🙄Hopefully my new 3 will continue to lay over winter occasionally! I just accept it as a part of chicken keeping and try to have a few different breeds to ensure I get the odd egg over winter but certainly not on a daily basis!

I didn't look that closely at the details - my patience is wearing thin today as it is :wink:

I am guessing that they are using it to entice the birds in before the door closes automatically... probably because of all the problems there have been with automatic doors leaving birds outside when thy close. Personally (and it's just my choice) I wouldn't bother with automatic doors on a coop... there have been too many problems with them. I am as sure as I can be that my runs are secure, so I don't close the cube doors at night unless it is REALLY cold.