AndyRoo

New girls

So today we got some new, as yet unnamed girls.

A white Leghorn, and then two others are supposedly hybrids or hybrids: the one that looks like a Rhode Rock has feathery feet and is apparently a Marans cross so should give us some really dark eggs, and the little rumpless lady should give us some olive green eggs.

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

• Like 2

Nice looking birds Andy, and a good selection. Watch that mad Leghorn though - trim her wing or she'll be off! I'd suggest keeping her in the run for a couple of weeks so that she builds up a homing instinct.

The black Marans cross looks like she is either laying or just about to start. They usually produce a plummy hued egg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mullethunter said:

The rumpless chook must have araucana in her does she?

I'm not 100% sure - but that was my assumption. I can tell you she lays an olive egg as opposed to blue... which we learned in total surprise when we got home to discover she had laid an egg in the carrier!

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Watch that mad Leghorn though - trim her wing or she'll be off! I'd suggest keeping her in the run for a couple of weeks so that she builds up a homing instinct.

They're going to be clipped in the morning, although she's not that flighty - not so far it seems, although I'll keep an eye on her. I'm hoping she'll be like our other Leghorn who also seems like she just can't be bothered to even attempt flapping around.

I think our Legbar is probably our flightiest and most skittish bird.

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Legbars are nuts - it's the blue egg gene! I had 2 Blue Angels from Cotswold Chickens - an Araucana/Leghorn cross; beautiful birds, and really good layers of big, pale turquoise eggs, but absolutely nuts until they came into lay.

She is an absolute screamer. You'd think you were trying to throw her directly into the frier at KFC the noise she makes if you try to handle her. She's never tamed up at all - no matter how many times we have tried to pet her.

3 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

Yeah, I think the temperaments are all down to the birds themselves.

Interesting - I have always had Wyandottes in my flock and they've ALWAYS been easy birds... tame, placid, robust, good layers.  B U T, I currently have 2 gold pencilled Wyandottes, known as The Twins because I had to leg ring one of them in order to tell them apart; they are the skittishest, most flighty birds ever and hate being handled.

13 hours ago, Chick Chick said:

Lovely looking hens, and fantastic mix of egg colours.  My white leghorn is my tamest girl, though she is also top of the pecking order :) 

Our girls give us a mix of white eggs, cream eggs, normal brown eggs, blue eggs - and with these additions, hopefully we'll continue to see some olive green eggs and dark brown eggs too.

My partner is incredibly excited at the prospect of taking a selection of 'rainbow' eggs in to give people where he works.

In future I might just try and find somewhere that sells easter egger hens and not bother with other breeds and see what we end up with!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

have always had Wyandottes in my flock and they've ALWAYS been easy birds... tame, placid, robust, good layers.

One of my two is a reasonable layer (they’re 6 and a half now so slowing down with age), the other laid a reasonable number of eggs in her second and third years, three in her fourth, one in her fifth and nothing’s since 🙄 She looks pretty though 😊

9A5E59A6-B0D9-40B5-B69C-43AC9323D752.jpeg

• Like 1

We’ve just got a hybrid called an Olive Egger with legs like yours she lays a blue grey egg. A lovely compact girl with a tiny bright comb. She’s given us 3 eggs already and we’ve only had her a week! We also got a French Maran & a Welsummer but they are only young so may not lay until the spring. We get ours from Newlands Poultry near Malvern 

• Like 1