Nick

Keeping outdoor Rabbits warm in winter (UK)

Hi - our first winter in the UK approaches with an Eglu Go and 2ft run attached.

The rabbits have loved the 24hr access to the lawn and we don't want to stop this, but as it gets colder we also need to ensure they can keep warm. At the moment we use Carefresh bedding as they use the corner of the run for their poop. Is the advice to keep the door to the run open no matter the temperature and fill the Eglu with straw, or are there any other considerations we should make.

Many thanks Nick (on behalf of Willow and Marshmallow)

If the bunnies have lived outside all summer, they should be developing a good winter coat right now and should be able to keep warm in winter. Just make sure they have a (mostly) dry run and definitely a dry hutch. It’s wet bunnies that can get into trouble. 

They are just ordinary fur bunnies right? The long haired/angora bunnies can’t be kept outside in winter as they don’t have a water resistant coat.

34 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

If the bunnies have lived outside all summer, they should be developing a good winter coat right now and should be able to keep warm in winter. Just make sure they have a (mostly) dry run and definitely a dry hutch. It’s wet bunnies that can get into trouble. 

They are just ordinary fur bunnies right? The long haired/angora bunnies can’t be kept outside in winter as they don’t have a water resistant coat.

Thanks Cat tails, yes ordinary bunnies. Run has an end to end weather cover and hutch stays dry. Its more about if we need to pack the hutch with straw (as well as confirming that leaving the door open to the elements no matter the weather is ok)

Generally they are fine as long as they’re dry as CT says.

In the past I have used snugglesafe heat pads but buns tend to chew them. Lots of hay and straw will keep them warm in the eglu.

Just double checking I assume you mean 2m run not 2ft otherwise they’ll need more run space. 

11 hours ago, Lewis said:

Generally they are fine as long as they’re dry as CT says.

In the past I have used snugglesafe heat pads but buns tend to chew them. Lots of hay and straw will keep them warm in the eglu.

Just double checking I assume you mean 2m run not 2ft otherwise they’ll need more run space. 

Thanks Lewis - yes 2m of course - doh. So do you leave the door open and let the straw become the protective layer for heat. Cheers.

Our Rabbit is out all the time and never goes into his hutch, as long as he moves around he can keep warm and he's found himself somewhere he likes better than his hutch for shelter. He's about 7 years old now and seems to work for him. I do give him his rabbit pellets, fresh veg and apples and he also likes a slice of toast for his breakfast, and fresh water.  I'm working on the theory that the bread gives him a bit of body fat and keeps him warmer ... anyway it's him who asks for it, he bangs on the kitchen door in a morning asking for it so he must like it. (I do keep his hutch available for him incase he changes his mind)

We used to have 2 mini-lops in a 2 storey log cabin type hutch, it was against a wall and largely protected form the worst of the weather.

I had Aubiose as the main litter, wood pellet cat litter in their litter tray and straw for their bedding. Although the latter was always quickly chewed into confetti! In the winter, I would rig up a clear tarp and bungee hooks to go over the roof and down the front of the whole coop in wet weather. It was angled out at the bottom to allow a free flow of air.