Mamatoad

Dried mealworms

I have just picked up an old copy of a poultry keeping magazine and it has an article about not feeding dried mealworms. I didn’t know anything about this and have been feeding my 2 chickens them regularly for the last few years. Am now really worried that my children have been eating the eggs regularly and they may have been dangerous to their health? The article said that the mealworms could have been fed animal proteins or human waste!! Does anybody know anything about this and if i should be worried? Thank you

I guess that they would traditionally be fed on meat.

If you're at all worried, then just give them layers feed and nothing else. The main point of the comments about mealworms etc at the time was that they could have been fed on animal and fish carcasses and that there could possibly be disease transferal across species... hence DEFRA's ruling that we don't feed our birds on any animal products or animal by-products.

Having said that, if you saw my chooks tearing apart a mouse that they'd caught as it came out from under the woodpile, then you possibly wouldn't be too bothered; that is what wild chickens will eat.

Mine have sunflower hearts when I need to get them back in their run (usually works although yesterday I went out for posh afternoon tea and had to leave Camilla out because she wouldn’t go in - I swear they know when they’re making you late!) - I haven’t noticed that they’re too oily or so them any harm. I guess they don’t have them very often though.