Hello I am very interested in getting 3 chickens, and would like a little advise. I have a large garden so plenty of space but thinking either an Eglu cube or Eglu up and go with a walk in enclosure. 
The ground where I am thinking of setting up the coup a little boggy in winter. Is it advisable to slab the area and lay bark or leave and lay bark directly on the surface? Is the purpose of slabs to fox, rodent proof the coup? 
I was also thinking of building the enclosure out of these www.buildwithhubs.co.uk has anyone experience of using these?

oh yes any eglu’s for sale?

cheers

Edited by Kelly.b

Hi Kelly!  

Great idea! Beware it’s addictive and three will soon be not enough, but it’s a good place to start.   My advice is to look for a preloved cube Mk 1.  It’s made of sturdier plastic than the Mk 2 and is bigger.   I’ve never had a Go so people can comment on that.  I started with an eglu Classic then soon graduated to the Mk I cube.   I now have 2, one green,  bought reconditioned from Omlet and the second blue, preloved from a lovely lady who had to give up because of illness.   The green is 11 years old and the blue is more like 15. Although the green has faded it’s still pristine inside.  The blue has retained its colour and is similarly in great condition.  Not sure if the Mk 2 will last as long.  The money you save on the coop, invest in buying as much run as you can fit in.  The size of the run is the determining factor as to how many happy hens you can fit in.  The bigger the better.   

I would slab the inside. Rats are more likely a problem than foxes I find.  Slabbing will prevent them digging in.   Then cover the run with clear tarpaulin ( I use that from Tarpaflex but you can use clear shower curtains), leave room for ventilation though ( I have one side clear) , put  kickboard from lawn edging around, Then you can use hemp based bedding like aubiouse in the run as well as in the coop. Some people prefer hardwood chippings but I find aubiouse easier to clean. 

Hope this helps.  I’m sure others will be along to comment soon. 

Edited by Patricia W
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, welcome to the forums.

So, in my opinion, the answer to your questions:

Is it advisable to slab the area and lay bark or leave and lay bark directly on the surface?

Personally, I would say, yes, put down some paving slabs first - it'll help stop the ground becoming a complete mess, and it's easier to clean when you change the substrate IMHO.

Is the purpose of slabs to fox, rodent proof the coup?

Not specifically, but it can potentially help with fox-proofing. Foxes tend to dig right up close to a fence if they want to go under it, so having a solid slab of paving where they want to dig will deter them. It also means they can't burry up from underneath (not that they do that really, but a rabbit might). Rodents aren't really going to be deterred by paving slabs as they can squeeze between the gaps in the wire run anyhow in my experience.

I was also thinking of building the enclosure out of these www.buildwithhubs.co.uk has anyone experience of using these?

No experience with them, but I feel like just an open space protected by a net (preferably electrified) would be just as good and less costly.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Edited by AndyRoo
  • Thanks 1