Tricky78

New Hens

I am picking up my new hens on Saturday and should have them home for 4pm. X 3 bantams.

What is the best way to settle them?

Should i put them in the coop and let them settle overnight before letting them out in the run rhe next morning?

Should i put food and water in their coop for the first night?

I have some Nettex Vit Boost + with Added Seaweed, should i give them this to help them settle?

will they need worming or anything to ensure they are in good health?

Thanks 

I can’t remember what your set up is. If you have a smallish run attached to coop then seeing as your hens will be home with at least an hour before normal bedtime I would put them in the run with food and water with the pop hole to the coop open and hopefully they’ll put themselves to bed.

At that time in the afternoon though you could easily shut them straight in the coop with the pop hole closed - assuming you’re not travelling for more than an hour or so they’ll have been eating and drinking until 3ish so would be fine to wait until morning. I wouldn’t put food or water in the coop.

To help them settle in, you could ask what they’ve been eating and get them some of the same (although I’ve never done this). Personally I would give them plain water when they arrive just to ensure they drink, but then if you want to add some tonic over the next few days.

Ask the breeder if they’ve had any wormer - if they’re POL they probably won’t have and should be OK for a few months - I definitely wouldn’t worm them when they first arrive (unless they obviously have a worm burden) as the drug does stress their system to some extent (I don’t worm regularly at all any more following advice from our tame forum vet but instead send samples for a worm count every year or so).

Hope you’re excited 😀

12 minutes ago, Tricky78 said:

I am picking up my new hens on Saturday and should have them home for 4pm. X 3 bantams.

What is the best way to settle them?

Should i put them in the coop and let them settle overnight before letting them out in the run rhe next morning?

Yes (sort of) shut them in the coop for about an hour, then let them out into the run to feed and drink before going to bed. They may not come out, but give them the opportunity. Keep them in the run for at least a week to build up a homing instinct and train them to come when you whistle.

Should i put food and water in their coop for the first night?

No

I have some Nettex Vit Boost + with Added Seaweed, should i give them this to help them settle?

Yes, the B vits in this will help with any stress.

will they need worming or anything to ensure they are in good health?

I would leave them to settle in - too many stressors at one time. Perhaps worm them or get a faecal worm egg count done (Westgate Labs) before worming if necessary.

Thanks 

Enjoy!

Just remind the littlies that they need to be calm around the chooks, especially at first when they're not used to being handled and lots of noise. It's good to get them sitting down and holding the chooks.

We have lots of neighbours with small children and they love to come round to see the chooks, especially when we used to do more hatching. The rules were no chasing the birds, be calm, and sit down to handle them.

Yes they will be told to be nice and calm around them. Looking forward to posting pics when i get them. I've ordered raised edge bedding to keep the woodchips in the run but looks like it wont be here in time so the hens will have to make do with grass and some straw for a week.

The border/edging will be here tomorrow so I'll have everything ready to go for the new arrivals. 

I have a clear tarp which covers the complete run. I'm going with a membrane and woodchipd for now, will probably remove the chips and fit slabs before next winter. 

• Like 1

Oooo, how exciting getting your first chickens! Just to add, I don’t whistle for my  chickens, I shake their tin with corn in and when they come in they get a handful of corn.  You can start this in the first few days after you get them, not sure if you are planning on letting them free range but what I mean is when they are in the run you can whistle/ shake a tin and then give them their treat. That way they will begin their training and get used to you and associate you with loveliness! Have fun 🐔🐥🐔

5 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Looks lovely!

Just a tip for you, I would keep the food and water to the front of the run, so you don’t have to crawl in to get to it. Also, temperature jackets are nog really needed, unless you are far north and well below freezing.

We're in the north in Scotland and the hens are about 18-20 weeks so wanted to be sure they were comfortable.

Got them back after driving on horrendous wind, snow and rain.

They are settled in the coop and i saw them fluffing the hay bedding but they decided not to venture out the coop. They are shut in for rhe night and I'll let them out early as I'll be up early for the boxing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Errmmm, not heard of a French Bantam or a cross of one before - you'll have to post photos.

You might want to lower it slightly... it may be the angle/foreshortening, but that run looks a bit short and overcrowded with the perch in, especially as you have 3 birds in it..

😆 i of course meant Dutch Bantam.

Should i remove the perch and give them more room?

They are quite petite hens. I'll post some pics tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, The Dogmother said:

If they are teeny, then they might find that perch too big for their feet - it is made for big hybrids. You could always make your own. Dutchies are quite good at flying - well the ones I have had were.

I'll wait and see how they get on.

What would you suggest to use as a perch that would suit their feet?

Looking forward to seeing them exploring their new home tomorrow.

Thanks

Personally I’d wait and see how they get on with the width of it before changing it. One of mine sleeps in the run (out of choice - there’s plenty of room in the Cube with everyone else 🙄) on a perch made of baton which is inch and a half by 1 inch I think. Height wise I think it’ll be fine - my Dutch girls are VERY good at flying. Looking forward to seeing photos of yours 😀

81EF3D40-FEBD-40AA-8961-D03B56CC273A.jpeg

7060DE34-89D5-4F51-8B94-E615E2293092.jpeg