Tricky78

New Hens

Well they were let out of the run for their first free range time. They didn't venture far buty Dutch bantam took flight on top of my 6ft fence.

I thought chickens were clumsy fliers but she got up there no bother. 

I clipped their flight feathers on one wing today,  didn't want to do it but if they get over the back there is a stream and thick undergrowth so I'd struggle to get them back.

I've had the run door open all day but they don't seen interested in coming out.

My hentronix automatic door arrived today so I'll get that fitted.

They love live mealworms as they coo as they are eating them.

20200301_164125.jpg

20200301_163306.jpg

Edited by Tricky78
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tricky78 said:

The automatic door is working well, they go up to roost about 5.30.

I’m interested in how the door locks, from the video it seems as though the auto door mechanism doesn’t pull the bit up at the top which you need to lock the door in place? How does the door stay shut? And do you need the battery pack it comes with? I’m curious as to why the battery pack is sold separately.

Edited by ThreeChooks

12 hours ago, ThreeChooks said:

I’m interested in how the door locks, from the video it seems as though the auto door mechanism doesn’t pull the bit up at the top which you need to lock the door in place? How does the door stay shut? And do you need the battery pack it comes with? I’m curious as to why the battery pack is sold separately.

The door is always lifted so the lock by dropping the door no longer works. There is no way a predator could open the door against the motor as it's solid, once it's shut it's very secure. 

I think the battery is sold separately to make the automatic door opener seem cheaper.  It's a good setup and I'm glad i've invested in it.

The battery is charged via the solar panel but you still need the battery.

My hens seem very reluctant to leave the run, any idea on how i can entice them out? 

They are slowly getting used to us as they no longer go to the back of the run then i approach.

Also any idea roughly how old they are and when can we expect eggs? The kids are very excited.

20200223_134852.jpg

• Like 1

They will venture out when they feel confident - I usually recommend that newbies are left in the run for at least a week anyway; this builds up their homing instinct to return there when you do let them out. This time can be used to give them all a health check and treat them for lice and worms as a preventative measure. I also train them to come when I whistle, which makes getting them back in the run a cinch. They look around PoL, so probs about 18 weeks..... they will lay when they are ready, looks like the top one in your photo may be first.

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

When they are about to start laying their comb usually turns very bright and fresh looking.

Peter

They don't really have much of a comb at the moment.

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

They will venture out when they feel confident - I usually recommend that newbies are left in the run for at least a week anyway; this builds up their homing instinct to return there when you do let them out. This time can be used to give them all a health check and treat them for lice and worms as a preventative measure. I also train them to come when I whistle, which makes getting them back in the run a cinch. They look around PoL, so probs about 18 weeks..... they will lay when they are ready, looks like the top one in your photo may be first.

What checks should i be carrying out at the moment and how?

Thanks.

Been letting my girls out each day from 1-5 and they ventured a little furher from the run today.

They have started making noises when i approach the run, not sure if it's good or bad sing. Had Tiffin (brown one) and Daisy (grey one) eating out my hand.

Putting in a little work and taming them each day.

Still no eggs.

20200311_144447.jpg

• Like 1

Well in the hour of need amd with the panic buying happening, one of my hens has laid our first egg 😃

Minnie (dutch bantam) laid our first egg today, i feel like a proud father. 

Note that it's not my nails, my wife sent the pic as I'm offshore 

Screenshot_20200321-143335_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-145247_WhatsApp.jpg

The first egg is always a very proud moment! Ours was laid on the concrete patio outside our back door so was scrambled from the start 😖. Having bough the house, run, bedding,  chickens themselves, food and treats we worked out that our first egg had cost us around £900.00 🤣.

• Haha 1