So.... The garden is cleared. The eglu is built. The woodchip is in (I need more for around the run and to tidy up a bit)... But I even managed to get paving slabs at b&m....

and most importantly the little bantams arrive tomorrow. A few days earlier than expected so it’s been a bit of a scramble. But I’m super excited!!

3943312C-9096-4E36-B59F-D29A9ADC2CC8.jpeg

FC571683-409B-47F4-811F-BDB4E748F6F4.jpeg

• Like 2

They arrived yesterday morning. Will try and get better pics today, yesterday turned into a hectic day (nothing to do with the chooks)....

They had a good scratch around when they got here. Seemed ok. Ate some corn and mealworms and even some food. Then they went and hid in the house for most of the day. I turfed them out about 5pm and they had another wee dig until bedtime. 

Have just let them out this morning. super cute. Still need names 

2FCE1150-BA46-4245-85C4-306508E20A8F.jpeg

1E0D2199-E590-47F2-8DCA-899C23509816.jpeg

57 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

No, just let them explore. Best to keep them in the run for at least a week, to build up a homing instinct.

I was thinking keep them in the run, so thanks for confirming...

But they keep going back into the eglu.... Should I shut the eglu so they are in the run or is it ok if they spend a lot of the day in the house?

My bantams can clear a 6ft fence!  One can even do it with a clipped wing so she is on permanent lockdown.   When you first let them out, do it in the evening as they will naturally want to go home to roost.  Also start training them to come to you when you rattle a tin or something.  Give them a treat every time you rattle and they’ll soon learn

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patricia W said:

My bantams can clear a 6ft fence!  One can even do it with a clipped wing so she is on permanent lockdown.   When you first let them out, do it in the evening as they will naturally want to go home to roost.  Also start training them to come to you when you rattle a tin or something.  Give them a treat every time you rattle and they’ll soon learn

Mine all come when I whistle and rattle the seed pot, straight in the run and door closed. Better recall than the dogs!

• Thanks 1

Mine all come when I call too. 

Are they all Wyandotte’s? My Wyandotte’s will hop / flap up onto a solid fence or gate and then jump down the other side, but they won’t fly up and over a mesh fence like the Omlet fencing and certainly not with a clipped wing. So perhaps a solution would be to have some Omlet fence you could put up when they were out and about in the garden. 

My Dutch bantams and Campine will fly straight out over anything,

2 hours ago, mullethunter said:

Mine all come when I call too. 

Are they all Wyandotte’s? My Wyandotte’s will hop / flap up onto a solid fence or gate and then jump down the other side, but they won’t fly up and over a mesh fence like the Omlet fencing and certainly not with a clipped wing. So perhaps a solution would be to have some Omlet fence you could put up when they were out and about in the garden. 

My Dutch bantams and Campine will fly straight out over anything,

They are all Wyandotte’s.... Might have to invest in omlet fencing!! Thankyou.