Hayleybug

Small Bantams- ladders and height

Hi all,

been a while since i last posted here, i've got 3 new bantams and i'm worried that my setup might be too high for them. i have my eglu on a table, and a home-made ladder which is a closed back plank of wood with lengths of stick/dowel type stuff for grips. when they come down the ladder they seem to gain quite a pace and i think it might be either too high, or i need a better ladder. can anyone with serama/silkie/booted size bantams give me any advice? do i need to completely change my layout and perhaps lose the table? i have a perch that comes out from the table height which they like to roost on but i'm worried they might fall off and hurt themselves with that much of a drop (there is woodchip on the floor of the WIR). thankyou!

Most bantams will cope just fine with a ladder - mine can negotiate a cube mark 1 ladder. The only type to have any problems would be Silkies because they can't fly, and possibly Frizzles for the same reason, although our Frizzle manages just fine. Perhaps try a step under the bottom rung... a photo would help us to make suggestions :)

1 hour ago, SeramaSilly said:

Are you sure you really need the ladder?  I have seramas and have never used one because they fly really well.

I have a silkie and a booted too and the silkie can’t fly so would get stuck without something there! I agree the serama definitely doesn’t struggle (except for being so keen to fly she flies into things all the time!)

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Most bantams will cope just fine with a ladder - mine can negotiate a cube mark 1 ladder. The only type to have any problems would be Silkies because they can't fly, and possibly Frizzles for the same reason, although our Frizzle manages just fine. Perhaps try a step under the bottom rung... a photo would help us to make suggestions :)

Thankyou, the silkie definitely is the one I’m most concerned about but also I think maybe the angle is too sharp- they do seem to fall/slide/flap in different combinations on the way down!

41223406-FF24-4599-9D24-C8001F1A42FD.jpeg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Perhaps they need a handrail 😂

Sorry!

Actually I was thinking of moving the table along a bit and giving them a wider and shallower ramp against the side of the run, so that’s probably a good point! :)

On 7/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, Luvachicken said:

Very pretty birds 😊

Could you make them another bit of ladder so that it has a turn in the corner at a right angle, then it wouldn't be as steep ? (I hope you understand what I mean)

Oh yes that’s a good idea! Definitely I think it needs to be shallower for them. I considered taking the table away and putting a smaller one in, then looked out yesterday and they were all snuggled up on the table having a snooze! And there was me thinking they didn’t use it much!

I don't like the ladder. I have 5 week old Rhode Islands and cannot see them using this when it is time to move. Maybe once they are like 4 months they can navigate it. They are a bit clumsy even though their legs and feet look like they been body building. I am researching something to stick on the front or the back so they don't miss and hurt themselves. I would like to see Omlet create the ladder not using a typical ladder design but the design as you see in the picture above and just make it out of the material the ladder is made from. The plastic things are hard to put on the rungs too. Anyway, I am going to continue to search what I can do so at the young age when it is time for coop they don't hurt themselves.