Annabel

Chick suddenly unwell- any ideas?

UPDATE - this evening we appear to have turned a corner.  Merry ate some tuna (thank you Dogmother!) mixed with a little greek yogurt on a foil plate and ate a fair bit.  Then this evening, for the first time in days she went after the meal worms I offered and ate quite a few.  Her crop has felt empty for days and this evening, was slightly firmer.

I think we may be on the mend!

On 8/16/2020 at 10:06 PM, Annabel said:

oh no, I had read this mixed with water and her chick crumbs was good for a chick failing to eat.  I hope I've not made it worse now.

Sorry Annabel I didn’t mean that to seem so abrupt I was just in a rush. I’m sure you won’t have given enough to make it worse. 

As DM said, you’re doing everything right - just keep trying. I’d go for tuna (as long as it’s not in brine) rather than crab paste in case the paste has other stuff in it.

• Thanks 1

Update- finally after having the whole chicken family (which includes 2 large fowl mothers) in my utility room for 5 days (this was utterly disgusting as I am sure you could imagine!) so I could keep her warm and dry, hourly poo pick and disinfections and tempt her continuously with food or water, Merry seems to have decided to hold on in there and has gone out with the family all day today to hunt for bugs and enjoy the free range life. She’s still slow but her feathers aren’t dragging, her head is held a little higher and she seems happy. Thank you to everyone for their advice, well wishes, ideas and motivation. You’re an amazing community xxx

84E70ABF-8AB0-4FF6-803C-E0D527CB943B.jpeg

3F79995D-FD8B-44F0-B947-F560EAC662BA.jpeg

1AC59BF6-594D-4FC7-8AE5-FC09058D4CD4.jpeg

3C12A09F-B086-4D61-AAE3-D2F4D54ECB29.jpeg

1F507920-FFFC-444C-BB5F-A634A2D0D1E3.jpeg

• Thanks 1