Luvachicken

Hand warmer recommendations please ?

So, working in a school with the windows open, is getting rather chilly now.

I have been wearing extra layers, a body warmer - which the children are jealous of,  and I've been taking a handy little flask with some hot chocolate in (excellent buy from Lakeland)

Trouble is my hands are cold (and other parts of me) so I was looking at the kind of hand warmers that you don't have to cook. I have the cooking sort already but Lakeland just sent me a new catalogue with a HotRox Electric Hand Warmer in. They are £30 so quite expensive. Does anyone know if these are any good or if there are better ones ?

I am a bit of Lakeland fan but mostly because they give a 3 year guarantee for things :wink:

Thanks for any thoughts  

I know how you feel... I have ordered some hideous lumberjack type vest for outdoor use. Very fed up with the cold... decided we’ll be using the bunsen burners A LOT this winter. A little tea light will make quite a difference too. Even bought an electric kettle for in my classroom and told the kids they can have tea too.

No clue if the electric handwarmers are any good. But do try them on first. I have a pair for on the motorcycle (much more expensive...) and you do feel the wires inside. Might not be nice if you wear them for a long time. Same goes for the placement of the battery. 

Other tip is a heated pillow/mat if it really gets ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Other tip is a heated pillow/mat if it really gets ridiculous.

Oh yes, I have one of those for when I get home - mostly bought for my frozen shoulders I had, but very handy now for warming up.

I also bought myself a heated throw recently - that is super toasty.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to use either at school.

This may not be any use as you probably have to use your fingers, but skiing thermal mittens are excellent.  Skiing gloves are available, but they are so thick that they might not be any use.  A friend of mine told me mittens were better than gloves for keeping you warm as your hand was all in the same place, there weren't all the fingers of the glove separately exposed to the elements.  Not sure if that is true or not.

5 hours ago, Daphne said:

This may not be any use as you probably have to use your fingers, but skiing thermal mittens are excellent.  Skiing gloves are available, but they are so thick that they might not be any use.  A friend of mine told me mittens were better than gloves for keeping you warm as your hand was all in the same place, there weren't all the fingers of the glove separately exposed to the elements.  Not sure if that is true or not.

I have mittens and gloves but my gloves are washable whereas my mittens are not.

Like you say, I wouldn't be able to wear them in class.

Hubby has found some nice hand warmers for me so going to give them a go. I will sneak them into my pockets :wink: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Proper thermo undies will be better. The silk only works when it’s touching skin I think. 

Ok, will look into some of those. Just a shame the shops are shut.

3 hours ago, Ursula123 said:

Also I saw crochet wrist warmers, which are sort of like finger less gloves without the fingers, I suppose fingerless mittens

I saw some cashmere ones of those once before - quite expensive but could work.

Hubby told me the handwarmers were coming tomorrow but they actually arrived today. We plugged one in to charge it up - only took a couple of hours - and it was actually quite toasty on it's lowest setting. Going to give it a try at school tomorrow to see how it gets on.

No doubt it won't be cold tomorrow :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, my prediction about the weather was correct, although being dressed in a PE outfit was not the warmest.

Part of my PE outfit is a hoodie with a pouch, so I hid my handwarmer in that.

Most of the morning was OK but then I did get chilly later, so I sneaked it's little button on and wrapped my hands around it.

It was bliss 🔥

Having 2 of them will be super warm once it gets really cold.

They are about the size of a computer mouse and charge up with a USB thingy.

The only problem I can think of is having pockets that are big enough to have them indoors. Hiding inside my coat pockets will be fine for outside.

• Like 2