Matthew

Complete Novice: Chickens arrived last Thursday

Saw the eglu wandering around Newbury Show and got convinced by the g/f that our life would not be complete until we had some chickens. Now given that we don't have kids yet that might be a result ;o)

Ordered at the show, and the eglu and Xabi ( PP ) and Momo ( GNR ) and a (red eglu) arrived last Thurs.

Created an edged section within the lawn and filled with large bark chippings and they seem happy enough, and have been out for a couple of hours to explore the garden, trooping themselves home when it gets dark.

Kate is very happy, and I've worked out that it will take 3 1/2 years to payback the outlay!!!! (assuming they do start laying ;) )

Saw the eglu wandering around Newbury Show and got convinced by the g/f that our life would not be complete until we had some chickens. Now given that we don't have kids yet that might be a result ;o)

Ordered at the show, and the eglu and Xabi ( PP ) and Momo ( GNR ) and a (red eglu) arrived last Thurs.

Created an edged section within the lawn and filled with large bark chippings and they seem happy enough, and have been out for a couple of hours to explore the garden, trooping themselves home when it gets dark.

Kate is very happy, and I've worked out that it will take 3 1/2 years to payback the outlay!!!! (assuming they do start laying ;) )

Welcome! Sounds like you'll be able to have pretty good game of footy too if the chickens live up to their namesakes! :D

Hi and welcome!

My OH keeps track of the total outlay on chickens and how much we get back from them. He reckons we are now down to £50 per egg! :lol: (I keep reminding him there's £10 in egg money on the mantlepiece but he just does :roll::roll::roll: )

Hope you enjoy your chooks! 8)

They do make great pets and waste a great deal of your time.

My OH thinks they were a wonderful investment as my blood pressure has dropped so much since getting them...... and at least they do make some contribution to the family!

Princess is doing well with her blue eggs. Three blue eggs in four days but yesterday's was on the roosting bars. I wonder if the nest was occupied or if she was "caught short"?

Helen in Hume

Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Javier Mascheranooooooooooooooooooooooo

By any chance?

Great names! :lol:

Close..... ;)

If we get two more at some stage it will be

"We've got the best chick-ens in the world,

We got Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascheranohohoh"

Took Kate to Athens for the Champions League final in May (I was in Istanbul for the 2005 final and I still havent stopped going on about it!!) and while drinking with the lads in Syntamana (sp) square, this was her favourite song....

Wow! A walking eglu.........!!! :lol::oops: Sorry - couldn't resist.......!

Edit: :oops: Sorry - just read your later post...........serves me right for replying before I'd read the whole thread.......

you'll love your chickens - we got ours at the end of August and they're wonderful......good excuse for not doing any housework....... :lol:

Hi Matthew,

Another local! :D Seems to be quite few of us in this area! :D

We also ordered our cube at the Newbury Show - our was delivered last Wednesday, so a week exactly now.

I have egg envy now though...ours haven't started laying yet. Which I was fine with until I saw your post :wink:

Gloria

I've worked out that it will take 3 1/2 years to payback the outlay!!!! (assuming they do start laying ;) )

Now ... have you taken into account all the extra little things you'll be buying for them? Run converter & extension, extra roosting bars, toys, gym equipment (also known as branches or shoe racks), special foodstuffs they insist upon, heat pad for the chilly nights, electric blanket, manicures (OK, the last 2 are a bit silly!) ........ not to mention all the chicken-related paraphenalia for yourselves you'll not be able to resist :lol::lol:.