Guest Penguinmad

If you want a Wii

I am with Pengy on this,although I have never & I don't think would ever sell tickets, even though I live near to one of the foremost Festival site in the country, not to mention Regatta sites too :wink:

I don't see that there is anything wrong with buying to sell.

Surely its a case of simple supply & demand?

Most of what I sell on eBay is stuff the children & I no longer want or have grown out of & I am sure Pengy will be listing her far-too-big clothes real soon too :lol:

I love eBay, & have traded in household bits & pieces for many years now, & if I see an opportunity to make a few pounds on a supply & demand basis,then I will.

My best ever sell was a whole heap of UK only magazines about The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, which I sold to Americans for twice what I paid for them.

That was Christmas covered that year!

8):lol:

I guess this is really a case of doing whatever you think is morally right. If people are willing to buy then why not sell? The seller takes a risk that they won't see a return on their money and people only pay on Ebay the maximum amount they are willing to part with.

I think Pengy's tips are useful, and it is always worth shopping around to see where you can get the best deal. Quite often people use Ebay because the high street shops have sold out and it doesn't occur to them to trawl the web (or they dont have time) to look for another seller. We managed to get our hands on a couple of discounted Nintendo DS Lite's a little while ago and considered putting them on ebay - we were so suprised that people were buying on Ebay for only a couple of pounds less than RRP so once you add on postage.....madness! :?:lol:

OH got a couple from a friend who gets a trade discount and managed to set a them aside before they were snapped up by other people. I think they struck a deal involving some cash and a swap for some discount postage stamps! (Sounds like his surname should be Trotter!)

I have a couple of the Brain training games, they're quite good fun but frustrating when my score gets worse instead of better!

That's it! The games are just a little cartridge that slots in the back of the DS.

My brother tells me that you can buy blank cartridges and download games from the internet on to it for free.......I'm sure that this is not strictly legal so couldn't condone anyone doing it :lol: even if I knew how to!!! :lol:

Ah the taxman, I do keep meticulous records of anything I sell above RRP, much of my sales are secondhand goods and don't make a profit. I declare some of my extra earnings but there may be some creative accountacy on them. :shock:

How many Omleteers are tax inspectors I wonder. :lol:

yes i agree with Cinnamon, go for it pengy.

people have no right to judge you.

if people cant afford it they shouldnt be buying it. they should go and buy a football instead, it will get more use in the end!

you were kind enough to start this thread to help people looking for a wii by telling them how to get one.

and they have some in asda, not that i am buying one, someone in the que was. i sometimes buy and sell on e-bay and alot of people are doing the buy two get one free on boots toys and reselling on e-bay for a profit. it just means that christmas is cheaper.

When I first read this I was a bit :x but then I thought - well that is what business is all about - demand/supply and making a profit.

Have not got to the stage where peer pressure comes into play (and the associated bullying if you have not got the right gear fears) but I hope I don't resort to paying over the odds for something which is horrendously expensive anyway.

I have seen to much go wrong for friends with older children (no longer children) who gave in to pressure to have 'things'.

Layla knows already that if she wants if she wants something really badly she has to save for it.

We are also forestalling it by ensuring that we put more value on experiences than objects. Who knows what will happen in few years though.

At the moment we are trying to decide whether or not to get her a Nintendo DS for Xmas - all of her friends have them but we have resisted so far....To be honest I was shocked when I found out that nearly all the 6 year olds we know have some sort of games console.

When my daughters wanted a Wii, after playing on one at a friend's house, I told them they could have one if they paid for it... they saved their money for a long long time (pocket money, and mainly money given to them by grandparents for birthdays and christmas), and last year when they finally had the right money for a wii, obviously it was not possible to get them one, the only ones I could find were on ebay, at extortionate prices... which I thought they shouldn't have to pay...

They had to wait a long time, quite a few months actually, before I finally managed to source one for them... could have got it from Germany, but wanted one I could easily and quickly return should anything be wrong, as it was my girls' own money, not mine, and they would have been devastated to spend all that money they saved on something broken or faulty...

So just a little thought here... yes there are parents who would try anything to get their kids anything they want, whether they can afford it or not... but there are also children and teenagers doing their best to gather the money to buy one if they like one (and there is nothing wrong with wanting one), and it is a pity for them when most of them are snatched to be sold at much higher prices...

I understand it might be supply and demand rules, I'm just saying not everybody wanting to find a wii will be a parent bowing to pressure to get their kids everything they want... I am not, and would never dream of, judging anyone, just remembering my daughters' disappointment when a long time saving still got nowhere cause the only wii's available at that time (and I did spend quite a while on stock search and so on) were way beyond the official published prices they had planned on... obviously my girls survived the wait, have their wii now and all is well. To be honest, I do not blame whoever sells them, but more the manufacturers, for creating the situation in the first place... they should supply enough product so that most people can buy one at some point in a reasonable timeframe at the real proper price. I am not the kind of person who wants something straight away, I don't mind waiting a while, but the wii situation is just ridiculous...

Very commendable Ziggy. I would have let them order from Germany though - Amazon germany go by the same policies as Amazon UK. Also you just use your usual logon and then whatever site you logon to after shows all your orders from the different sites.

I've ordered stuff from .com and the canadian site to be delivered in those countries too. It's such a breeze as because you are using your regular logon then all your credit card details and delivery addresses are stored there.

True, I've discovered them since and have used them to send presents to my sister's children in Belgium from the French site, and have bought the occasional thing from the .com site as well, as you say all with the same log on. I hadn't tried it back then when the wii thing, i wouldn't hesitate now... For my girls this was such a lot of money (well it's no trifle for anyone!!) I got a bit overprotective and paranoid at the time...

Im very glad to hear that children are still being brought up as i was :D

I never had the latest of anything as my parents couldnt afford it but we made do and i have some great childhood memories that i look back on and smile about. :D

Me too Emma - Rosie and I love nothing more than baking together or doing craft stuff. I never know what to buy my sister's children for Christmas and birthdays becaus ethey have all the latest gadgets and don't play games or read or do crafts.

I'm looking forward to getting James playing on the wii though, I think it will do him so much good when you think of the hand to eye co-ordination that you need on the sports game.

I have bubble shooter on my memory stick (like bust a move) and he always asks to play it but he doesn't quite get that he can only shoot at the bottom row but it is definately helping him to get control of the mouse.

I just saw Wii's came in stock on Amazon.co.uk this afternoon - for 1 minute!

The thing that gets me the most with this wii thing was the name of it...

My daughter just loved saying 'I need a Wii.... I want a wii... am desperate for a wii...'

the first time I had no idea what she was talking about.... well i got the wrong idea...

My girls all have the latest gadgets (my DH is very much a 'latest technology' man, well as he designs stuff like that I can't blame him), but still really love craft, baking, board games.

Maybe I'm very lucky getting the best of both worlds...

We have a german Wii - all the on screen set up can be done in English so dont let that put you off. :lol:

We have exactly the same it's brilliant .I can do a mean game of bowling but i'm rubbish at baseball ,tennis and boxing is sooooo tiring ...all good fun

Layla

I'm looking forward to getting James playing on the wii though, I think it will do him so much good when you think of the hand to eye co-ordination that you need on the sports game.

I have bubble shooter on my memory stick (like bust a move) and he always asks to play it but he doesn't quite get that he can only shoot at the bottom row but it is definitely helping him to get control of the mouse.

Okay, we all know my views on this by now.... but now I will try to be useful, here's a list of recommended games (I've had a Wii since day 1, I beat the ebayers to it!):-

Wii Play - If nothing else get it for the extra controller that comes with it, not sure how old your son is but there are some games that small kids will take to easily like fishing & target practice

Wario World - Great game for kids (and adults) just don't let the neighbours watch you playing it.... because you will look stupid!

Zelda - Great adventure game, not really into it myself but I lent it to a friend and his young daughters loved it

Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga - another one that's great for kids

Excite Truck - Probably the most fun driving game on the Wii so far

Zack & Wiki - brand new treasure island type game with excellent use of the controller

Fifa 2008 - good football game once you get used to the controls

Metroid Prime Corruption - Best first person shooter on the Wii so far

And of course Wii Sports, but I expect you all know that one by now and it comes with the console.

Finally, this is probably the best place to read reviews of Wii games:-

http://uk.wii.ign.com/index/reviews.html?constraint.bool.game.playable_download=is_false[/i]

Cheers that Wario World sounds like fun. The neighbors would have to be in our driveway to see us fortunately!

Even more fortunate when we strip off in the dining room to head out to the hot tub!!!!

Hubby and I once decided to play wii sports together, after watching the girls enjoy it so much...

BIG mistake... I am an irritating safety officer, I keep reminding everybody to be sooo careful all the time, so with wii it was a constant 'be careful girls, step away from each other girls, look all around before you do anything girls, make sure the baby isn't right around you when you move, blaa, blaa, blaa'... but of course with hubby I didn't think twice... him and I stood side by side to tackle a game of tennis... I told him how to play, as he hadn't done it before, and I had played with the girls... so here he goes, ready to take his first hit, concentrating hard, not wanting to be outdone by either sport or technology... and in one strong, elegant, wide movement hits his first wii tennis ball... his 'swinging' motion was wider than I or him expected though, and he hit me real hard on the elbow... We spent the next 15 minutes with me going 'ouch.... ouoooooouch...' in the sofa and him going 'sorry sorry sorry sorry'... I was fine but boy did that hurt!!

We leave the wii to the kids now... don't know if it's because they're smaller, but somehow they seem much safer with it than us!!

Thanks for the advice Pengy, My next door neighbour got theirs today...i'm so jealous!!! Unforunately or not, we need new carpets so i'm going to have to wait til after christmas for a Wii now :cry:

On the e bay front I love the place and good luck to anyone who manages to sell things and make money or sell things just to get rid of their stuff!!!

its fine buying the wiis and selling them on for a profit. i do it alot. you get that really nice feeling when you make a profit doing that stuff. In my opinion the wii will eb as obsolete as the game biy advance in moments...MOMENTS! well it will ni good time. im not interestedin new consoles. mpre wires for my to drown in. just stick to a few consoles so you can afford to get more games :D

I wanted the Wii so I could get Wii fit when it comes out next year - it looks amazing! Of course with my dieting I'm exercising a lot so something to do that looks fun is just what I need.

Incidentally I got home yesterday to find an Amazon package on my doorstep - it contained 2 Wii's :?

Oh and a card from DHL to pick up a package - that one is a pair of wellies :lol: