BeckyBoo

Poorly Delilah - again....

....hello there, we got a puppy in September, Delilah is her name - she's a cross between an English Mastiff and a Dogue de Bordeau (French Mastiff by any other name) She's lurvley, very docile, friendly, sociable, just fantastic. Then in October we went away for a week and left her with the woman we'd got her from (who is someone I vaguely know through work) Unfortunately she came back with mucky eyes, I found three fleas ( :evil: ) and she apparently had an upset tummy whilst she was there. She'd been fine in the five weeks with us previous to her going. Well, we've had her back for just about two weeks and last week she got vomiting and diahorrea (sp?). Anyway, rang the vets, they said to starve her then start her on a light diet, which I did and it cleared up after a couple of days. Today, she was fine this morning, came on the school run as normal but refused her breakfast (unusual altho her eating habits have also been different since we came back) Then she refused lunch although she was still playing fine in the garden. Got home and she refused dinner. About half an hour ago she wanted to go out and was sick twice, then had the terrible runs. A bit later she went out again and again had the runs.

I've fenced off the compost heap so she can't get to that, I can't understand what's wrong. I'm taking her to the vets anyway for her monthly check so wil try and get an appt tomorrow, She's not 6 months yet and tries to be a bit of dustbin, but she doesn't get loads of treats, she's on the same food as ever, could chicken poo be making her ill? Not that it made her ill before she went. I hate animals being ill, I hate anything being ill. Oh well, have to see what the vet says tomorrow. My poor pup. :(

Mrs Bertie

Jazz went through a phase of this - we put it down to her scavenging when she was let loose on the land :roll:

It was very embarrassing when the Vet asked us what she'd been eating - we could tell him what we'd given to her........ but there was no knowing what she'd eaten along the way. She would eat any poo she came across :roll:

I hope Delilah will soon be fine.

Oh dear poor Delilah :(

The best thing to do if a dog is sick is starve it of all food for 24 hours but ALWAYS make sure there is fresh water available.

When you re-introduce food do it slowly and only offer small amounts - little & often. Try boiled rice, chicken or fish to start with, then gradually increase the amount and mix it with ther normal food until you eventually swap back to their normal food.

Big hugs to you and Delilah - do let us know how you get on at the vet :D

Thanks everyone, well £78 later :shock::shock: she had to have three injections - one anti inflammatory for her guts, one anti sickness and one anti-biotics. You'd think she was being killed the fuss she made! The main problem was that she'd stopped drinking but after the vets I basically splashed water all over her mouth and she licked it off then went for a big drink. She's been starved again today and then tonight we've reintroduced rice and chicken, two table spoons at a time. Trouble is poor little thing, now she feels a bit better she's starving!! She's trying to eat anything that looks remotely edible! Vet thinks she's got a proper bacterial tummy bug that she probably picked up whilst we were on holiday and hasn't got over - that was nearly 3 weeks ago. To give you an example, the first month we had her she put on 22lbs in weight :shock::shock: In the last month she's put on only 8lbs but she's continued to grow taller so now she's starting to look skinny. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear this up once and for all. She goes back to the vets in the morning - I'm off to try and sell one of my children or remortgage the house to pay for it! :wink: Thankfully she's insured although I'll have to read the small print to see if it's worth a claim or not. At least tonight I've nearly got my puppy back, she's soooooo lovely, it's awful to see them miserable.

september160.jpg

Mrs Bertie

Another £50 and a course of anti biotics but she's on the mend fingers crossed. Sadly she has still got to have a light diet which for a hungry nearly 6 month old puppy just doesn't cut it. She wants FOOD!! Ironically she ate the front cover off a book my mum bought me called "The Perfect Puppy" :roll: Anyway, hopefully that will be the last of that, now just have to try and find the battery charger so I can take some recent pictures of her

Mrs B