I just went into the garden to see a big ugly fox running out of the back fence and the remains of poor madam rosmerta! this is so horrible ive had chickens for ages with no sign of foxes and now ive lost 2 in a week. i guess i know where herro went now.:cry::cry::cry:

I am thinking of rehoming my last 2 big ones as they dont have a run i can shut them in safely. is there anyone who would be kind enough to help me out after ive asked my mum.

thankyou.

:cry::cry:

Oh Jem, how horrible, I'm so sorry to hear about Madam Rosmerta. Is there no way you can get a run built? They don't have to be huge great things, just enough space so they can go in it until you're out to let them free range again. Foxes get so hungry at this time of year they're even more bold than normal, you'll have to really watch out now he knows your hcooks are there.

So sorry for you

Mrs Bertie

i would love a run for them but we are moving quite soon and my parents said no go on a run for the big ones. the bantams live seperatelyy in the eglu so theyll be okay.

it was okay for just their house but no run.

also, if anyone is able to rehome them you can have their house aswell for free. its a big green hutch on legs and both doris rosmerta cleo and herro all slept comfortably in there at one point.

:(

I could take them if you can't find anyone nearer, Sheila perhaps?...quote]

:lol: My first thought exactly. I've been resisting replying all afternoon. Maybe I could help, but I'm trying not to make hasty decisions. Always tempting to say yes to more hens but it does need thought if it wasn't planned.

Very sorry to hear the sad news though, Jem.

Sorry to here about your poor girls

We had a fox a couple of weeks ago and it was so scary. Luckily no damage done

The girls have to stay locked in now whilst I am at work :(

I wished we lived a bit nearer

I hope you get something sorted out soon

Best wishes

good news, my mum feels sorry for me and is letting me attempt to build a run. i dont know how fox proof i can make it since ive never built anything before but ill try my best. any advise?

If i realy fail at it i still may need to rehome them but not just yet! i wont give up yet. :)

right, first off, what's your budget and we'll take it from there? :D

That'll be even better if you can build a run, what a kind mum. I was thinking how sad it would be for you to rehome, esp. on top of losing the others. Hope you get some good ideas how to do that, best wishes, Sheila :)

PS. Offer still open as last resort, but I hope for you that you can keep them.

okay, you'll probably be able to build something like this for that budget. I'll get DH to give you specifics if you're interested.

It measures 7 foot x 5 foot approx and would be plenty big enough for 2 girls, you could even have something smaller.

Shall I get him to tell you what he used and roughly how to do it?'

you might struggle though if you've never done it before :oops:

do you think you could get your dad to help? The panels weigh quite a bit...

outside2.JPG

So sorry to hear about your horrible experience. It's something we all dread. Have a look online at the Chicken Tractor Gallery. It may give you some ideas on building a foxproof run . People on there have been quite inventive with quite simple materials. I'm sure you'll manage it.

Best wishes.

Hi! Sorry to hear about your girls. :(

If you're stuck I can look after your girls for you, just bring your coop thingy and I'll let them free range here under my watchful eye :D You're only 10 mins from me. Although i am away for Christmas and my neighbour is looking after them for me, I'm not sure he's ready for 5 chooks!! So anytime after then, if you find yourself in need of a foster mum, send me a pm. :wink:

So sorry to hear about your horrible experience. It's something we all dread. Have a look online at the Chicken Tractor Gallery. It may give you some ideas on building a foxproof run . People on there have been quite inventive with quite simple materials. I'm sure you'll manage it.

Best wishes.

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

that was really interesting, plenty of ideas on there! :)