all_organic

Chickens eating their bedding

Hi all,

We've not posted before, so hello to everybody!

We've had our two chickens (Patience and Petunia) and their Eglu since September, and all has been well, absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Over the last week or so, though, they seem to have taken to eating their bedding. We use shredded paper (bills etc), as there's plenty of it here, and they've not touched it before but now it's all vanished within a couple of days :? .

Having searched the forum, I see others have mentioned this as well. Is it somethig to worry about, surely it can't be good for them?

They're both perfectly okay, eating and drinking normally, and laying too, and if it was a one off I guess I wouldn't worry, but it seems to be becoming a regular part of their diet!

Any thoughts?

Hi all,

Over the last week or so, though, they seem to have taken to eating their bedding. We use shredded paper (bills etc), as there's plenty of it here, and they've not touched it before but now it's all vanished within a couple of days :? .

Any thoughts?

Hi, and welcome.

Mine eat bits of the shredded paper I bed them on. they don't eat it all, but then, I do use a lot! But I often find them eating it.

doesn't seem to cause them any problems

Hi quinandcolin

My three ex-batts go mad for shredded paper, when cleaned out and with fresh paper in the poop tray and nest it would all be gone in just a few hours.

I've changed back to straw for the time being, but still line the tray with a few sheets of paper for ease of cleaning and the chooks now shove their heads between the roosting bars, tear off bits of paper to eat :shock: .

For some reason they just love it and so far it hasn't done them any harm.

Nicola