mad house

Any vets out there

Just wanted some advice really, although I think I know the answer.

Our cat is 11 years old and never been a 'friendly cat'. will sit with me or my oh for a while then either slap you or bite you! the kids have never got close to her until recently. Then on saturday night our dd sat on the floor talking to the cat and the cat swiped her with her claws out giving her a nasty scratch. DD was not harrasing her only talking to her so really unsure now of what line to go down.

Any ideas anyone!

I'm not a vet but I grew up with a fairly unfriendly cat. I don't know how old your kids are but I always knew to keep well away from her (I think I was about 7 when we got her) It might be an idea to have a really good chat with your kids if they're old enough and tell them to leave the cat well alone.

We managed to coexist ok!

Hope you manage to sort it out

Has the cat been neutered?

I wouldn't let it anywhere near the children if it is going to be a danger to them.

It could be a face or an eye that it scratches next time.

Of course...if there is a marked change in the cat's behaviour, it could be ill, so a trip to the vet might be a good idea to set your mind at rest.

Edited by Guest

Maybe your cat is nervous, rather than agressive. If it felt threatened by having your daughter near it, even if she wasn't touching it, then it could have made a pre-emptive strike. You can train cats out of agression, but possibly not when they're eleven. However, if this is uncharacteristic, then you might want to check pusscat isn't poorly. Bladder infections can make a cat extremely unhappy and agressive, and aren't that easy to spot for example. If you're worried, a trip to the vet might be in order.

agree with Aunty E - if this is a sudden change in behaviour, then the cat may be ill or in pain.

some cats just don't like much contact however, and others will tolerate and even enjoy being stroked, and then suddenly they've had enough. I had a cat who lived to 17, and was extremely affectionate, but one minute she'd be purring enthusiastically - seconds later she'd be rending my hand with claws and teeth! This sounds a bit like your cat, from what you say.

Assuming there's no illness or injury, then teach your daughter to look out for the warning signs - usually the tail lashing from side to side indicates an unhappy or angry cat. She's probably never going to be a 'lap' cat, and maybe your children just need to accept that she's not a cuddly pet.

You could always get a kitten ... :wink:

I have an evil cat :evil:

She has been with me for about 15 years and was a stray at 1-2 years old and she has always hated me she is a bit better now but she will be fine one minute and then bites or scratches for no reason :?

I always warn people not to stroke her because of it :lol:

The children need to leave her alone to co-exist :roll:

I have an evil cat :evil:

She has been with me for about 15 years and was a stray at 1-2 years old and she has always hated me she is a bit better now but she will be fine one minute and then bites or scratches for no reason :?

I always warn people not to stroke her because of it :lol:

The children need to leave her alone to co-exist :roll:

She cannot hate you so much when she has stayed there - they choose their own home these strays so you must be doing something right! :lol:

I am very lucky that our five cats are all peace-loving hippies, but there is a cat visiting our garden who is just like that... He used to be ever so sweet at first, then somehow as he grew a little older, he became extremely aggressive. Problem is, he comes for cuddles, purrs and pushes against our legs to be stroked, then we stroke him and he pushes his head enthusiastically against our hands of a few seconds then all of a sudden starts scratching and spitting and going totally mental...

I had to warn my daughters to stay well away from him, even when he appears friendly, as it really hurts when he launches his attack... I am thinking of him as a mental cat to be honest... one night I was just closing up everything before going to bed, and to check whether the cat flap was locked I just pushed it with my hand... it wasn't locked, so the flap moved and my hand got briefly outside... the mad creature (couldn't see him, he's all black and it was dark outside) was on the other side and pounced on my hand like a maniac... gave me the fright of my life!!!

I knew a cat with a similar behaviour when I was a child... would pur and roll on the floor for a cuddle then the moment you'd get your hand close get real aggressive...

My cats occasionally get a bit 'over playful', but those two cats are just aggressive, there is no playfulness whatsoever in the way they grab and bite and scratch, then let go and walk off glaring over their shoulder!!! Evil little things!!

I think she stays in the hope it annoys me Susan :lol:

She is all over visitors like a rash but is horrid to me and the two boy cats in the house :roll:

She must be almost 20 years old and I swear she is going to live forever just to spite me :lol:

That has made me laugh so much. Does your avatar represent the cat!

I loved my old cat so much, but she was an absolute witch and I always had scratches. If e.g. she got on the table and I shouted at her, she'd turn round and spit at me! I used to wear motorbike gauntlets if I had to give her a pill.

When she was in the mood, though, she was so affectionate - I was so upset when she died that I couldn't go into work. :( I think some cats are just like that - but I like a cat with character, you just learn to approach with caution.

Thanks for all your replies.

Ok then, the cat is 11 yrs old and was a friendly kitten until someone gave her a static shock on her nose when she was a few months old. since then she will sit with me or dh but then look out, her ears go back, her eyes cross at this point you know to beware cos when her ears stand up and her eyes uncross she attackes you everytime! Might I add here she comes to us for affection not us to her and is purring all the time.

Our daughter is nearly 8 and has known all her life not to go near her but latley Kizzy has been going up to her and her brother who is 9 for a stroke.

The children are desperate for her to sit on their laps like all their friends cats do and we keep telling them that is not ever going to happen.

Kizzy sat with dh last night and promptly bit him!

We have said all along that doing it to us is one thing but not the kids so now we are in a real delema. When she scratched our dd she was about an inch from her eye so it xould have been a lot worse.

Really torn on this one.

My avatar represents one of my other cats who is a tad noisy :lol:

Mad house, Charley has become like that over the last couple of years she will approach me for attention then lash out I think she is going a bit senile myself :roll:

I just don't give in when she comes looking for attention I really have learned to ignore her over the years I pick her up every couple of days to check she isn't losing weight and I talk to her but I avoid stroking her if I can :roll:

Sometimes when I walk past her she lashes out for no reason :lol:

She is fed and comfortable and that is as much as I feel I can do for her :?

I have an elderly cat who will swip or bite when he has had enough of fussing, though that varies from day to day. The children know just to leave him be - he growls like a dog at us. has always bitten ankles if he is hungry ( the RSPCA told us that when we adopted him 15 years ago!!) but we wouldnt be without him - he is a real character. We also had a part feral cat until 15 months ago that we had had as a kitten. She would come for strokes and then get very aggressive - the children stayed well away. Even the vets had it marked on her card in big letter "CAUTION". We had to have her put down when she had a road accident that meant she would have had to have had her bladder emptied daily - there was no way we could do that. Whatever the temprement, my children have coexisted happily with them throughout their lives and learned to stay away from those two. To be fair, we have 4 cats that love being fussed that the children can hug and cuddle etc - its not your childrens fault or the cats fault - if she is happy with you and your OH then the children have to repsect her comfort zone or face the consequeces as mine did often - i told them that if they got scratched then, I'm afraid, they should have known better than to mess with her. Some cats are never going to be too friendly but they still enjoy a warm comfy home and regular food. I know your children want to cuddle like their friends - have you thought about another cat?

Yes we have thought about getting another cat but to be honest have thought it unfare as Kizzy would probably attack them too!

The only time we would get another cat is if we had kizzy put to sleep.

Possibly, but both my "aggressive cats" either stayed away from, or got on with new cats when we introduced them. We now have 5 cats younger than my old grumpy boy and he loves to curl up under the radiator with our 7 year old Bengal. (Grumpy boy is about 18/19 now!!) Just a thought.......