WitchHazel

My lovely walk in run is ready for the Girls!

At last, it's ready. The walk in run is all done, ready for the girls' arrival on Tuesday. My lovely DH built it for me.

It's just under 4m by just under 2m, and it connects to the Cube and Cube run in a sort of sideways "T" shape.

It has all mod cons: a door at each end; an opening to the Cube run which I can close off; an opening from the back of the cube run to the outside world; a light; removable corolux roof panels; perches attached to the sides; logs for additional perching; a dust bath; Aubiose flooring....

The only thing I haven't got is..what was it...oh yes, .hens!

26.jpg

If you're interested in seeing a slideshow of the build, please take a look here.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/dannahaz/BuildingTheRun/?action=view&current=e7311b66.pbw

Thanks to everyone on the Forum who has posted pics of their runs, as this is what inspired our design.

That looks amazing, hope you get your hens soon :D

We collect them on Tuesday. I'm childishly excited, it's been a very long wait (with a less-than-keen husband making it even worse!).

Thanks also Janty, Sunshine, ANH and Chelsea for your lovely comments. I'm so proud of my DH, he's put so much effort into it (despite not wanting chickens) that I just want to show EVERYONE!

That's very smart indeed! Well done, Mr Witch Hazel (or should I call him Warlock Hazel? :) )

Unfortunately my DH isn't big on DIY (though he's a fantastic cook, so I'm not complaining!), and my skills don't extend much beyond Ikea. I've seen something similar online that comes flat-packed, though, so if I can s"Ooops, word censored!"e together the money and persuade him the garden won't look awful with a run that big, I might go for it!

Your OH must be a carpenter! I REALLY WANT ONE (a run that is)! hummm I don't think my mum and I would be good at making something that amazing! Maybe when we move I can get one of my mums congregations bullied into making me one :wink::lol: .

It really does look amazing and very pretty too! :D

Good luck getting your girls on Tuesday, we all want lots of piccys! :D

Did you buy the run as a whole package? If so do you know where from :?:

Also would it be moveable onto new grass or is it too heavy :?:

Thanks

My husband made it from scratch. We bought the wood in B&Q, and he made that into "sections" of panels first. When all the panels were made he assembled it in situ.The sections are screwed together so we can dismantle it partially or fully for moving or, more importantly, extending should we get additional hens later.

The mesh is 16 guage weldmesh, 1inch squares, which we bought from Animal Kingdom on Ebay.

He likes DIY, and is very good at woodwork He did all the door frames and skirtings for our house.

Did you buy the run as a whole package? If so do you know where from :?:

Also would it be moveable onto new grass or is it too heavy :?:

Thanks

If you want something similar that you just assemble yourself from pre-made panels, try here:

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/walkinrun.htm

They're not cheap, but they look to be good quality. No walk-in run is likely to be moveable - only eglus and arks are good for that!

Someone on the forum (sorry,can't remember who) used a chap from Ebay. SHe specified the size, he prebuikt the panels and then turned up to erect them. Very similar process to ours, in fact. Her run looked great.

It wasn't particularly cheap, but was very good value: quality treated timber, good quality mesh, etc.

We also looked at FLyteSoFancy for inspiration http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Poultry_Protection_Pen.html