Boris70

Freecycle and chickens - moan

Cars! :shock: I am too doubting....I think there ar those who put stuff on Ebay after getting it for free....well my neighbour does. :?

Actually we have had people offering cars on my group :shock: no idea what condition they were in :roll: A couple of weeks ago a woman offered a brand new 26" flat screen tv :shock::shock: She was inundated with e.mails from people wanting it and had to e.mail the group saying "Stop! the tv has gone!"

I don't really mind if people car boot or E.bay the items they get, Freecycle is such a great idea, the spirit of it is to keep stuff out of landfill, and as long as that happens, it is up to people whether they choose to make money out of it

or not.

Tessa

Let's be positive ... the majority (not all, I agree!) of freecyclers are people who genuinely want to avoid sending things to landfill etc.

I will NOT give to people who email back 'I want this when can I collect it' - I made it my policy quite early on that I'd give to the first POLITE answer! On the basis that if they bother to say 'please', then they are a bit more likely to turn up to collect it!

I also don't list groups of stuff - someone who says they will take a whole load of random stuff is almost certainly going to car-boot it in my view.

I will still use it, and hope for the best from people - hopefully the freeloaders, blaggers and carbooters will not become a majority.

I think there are genuine people wanting chicken stuff. I don't know who is and who isn't. It would be worth checking if there was a free/cheap one before spending £100s. I've looked for chicken houses e.g. for a second one. I didn't see their post, but if they say they are getting chickens maybe they mean as soon as they have found an affordable house?

I haven't used posted anything on freecycle yet, but I have used the 'for free' section of gumtree to give away some unwanted furniture... One girl asked me loads of questions, came to view the thing, and I even arranged to take the shelves to her flat cause she didn't have a car, but then when I contacted her to fix a time, she'd changed her mind and didn't want the shelves after all!! Some people do get a bit greedy seeing free stuff advertised, and try to get things they will have no use for or no way to transport!!

The people that did eventually come to pick some things up were lovely though, smiley and friendly. The last guy that came shook my hand, said thank you, and wouldn't even let me help him load the stuff in the car, insisting on doing it all himself, and seemed very surprised at the perfect state of the shelves too... that was a very nice experience for both him and I!!!

Pet ads always get on my nerves though... the 'offered' and 'wanted' ones both... some are genuine and I am by no way trying to condemn everyone who looks for free stuff for a pet, but so many ads just are obviously from negligent, uncaring, unaware people that it drives me mad... one person once wanted a puppy, for free and in perfect health cause they had no money to spare on a pup or vet fees... I hope "Ooops, word censored!"ody would be mad enough to let a pup go to that person!!!

I didn't see their post, but if they say they are getting chickens maybe they mean as soon as they have found an affordable house?

Unfortunately not - the post on freecycle read along the lines of "I'm getting some ex battery hens soon so if you've got a chicken house, or some layers mash and straw as that's what they need"

I don't mind people getting things for free, it's just when it comes to animals I think people should consider where they are going to house them, how they are going to feed them etc before they are on a list to be getting them.

And Ziggy - someone asking for a puppy - well that's as ridiculous as if they can't afford the dog I seriously doubt they can afford the vaccinations, vet care and food for it.

I just wish people would consider what an animal is i.e. - not a toy!

Unfortunately not - the post on freecycle read along the lines of "I'm getting some ex battery hens soon so if you've got a chicken house, or some layers mash and straw as that's what they need"

Good Lord!

When I rang Adele about having some ex-batts, we discussed what sort of accommodation I had in place for them.

These people must lie to the Rescue Co-ordinators.

Hi Boris,

I've just been through the digests from the past week and as well as the chap wanting a hen house and lawnmower for his 'large garden' there are quite a few wanting pet related accommodation.

Surely if you need to get the basics for free how are you going to afford the essential like veterinary care?

Jo

I've just been through the digests from the past week and as well as the chap wanting a hen house and lawnmower for his 'large garden' there are quite a few wanting pet related accommodation.

Surely the point of Freecycle is that you are saving unwanted stuff from landfill - it's not a charity*, and whether you can afford to buy new or not is irrelevant. I could easily buy a brand-new dog cage (I want one to use as an isolation pen for new/sick chickens), but I'd rather get one through Freecycle or ebay and spend my money on other chicken supplies :)

Of course it's entirely different if someone comes straight out and says they want a free puppy because they can't afford to pay for one :shock:

* there are charities that will collect furniture in reasonable condition, for use in housing the homeless, etc - the downside is that they have to be fussy about upholstery having the correct fire labelling, etc., and you may have to wait weeks for a collection slot :(

Just had a look at today's digest on the Sheffield Freecycle thingy and this was there.

Posted by: "Sheffield-FreeCycle@yahoogroups.com" Sheffield-FreeCycle@yahoogroups.com

Sat Mar 1, 2008 1:49 am (PST)

After a lot of discussion among ourselves, with members and with

people involved in animal rescue, we have decided that we are no longer

going to allow animals to be advertised, (or requested) on Sheffield

Freecycle.

There are far better ways of ensuring a good, permanent home for

your pet, and we would encourage anyone who needs to rehome an

animal, to start by contacting a relevant animal rescue/rehoming

organisation for guidance on rehoming procedures, and to

make sure your animal, and the potential owner, are right for each

other.

I have uploaded an extensive list of animal rescue contacts to the

'Files' section of the site. You can find these here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheffield-FreeCycle/files

If anyone has any contacts to add or amendments to make, please contact

me at sheffield-freecycle-owner@yahoogroups. com and I will gladly

incorporate them.

As always, any comments regarding this policy change can be

discussed over on the shef-freecycle-chat list, or emailed to the

moderators or owners at sheffield-freecycle-owner@yahoogroups.com. Please do

not post to the main list with policy discussion.

Many thanks for reading!

Good for them.

The Freecycle groups that I belong to all have a 'no homing animals' rule already, so I was quite surprised to hear that there were other groups where this was allowed.

I think that for some people it has moved on quite a way from the original idea of keeping things out of landfill, which is fine in some ways - but not where animals are concerned.

I belong to the Bromley (london) freecycle and whenever I have seen animals requested someone usually posts a stroppy reply to the group, saying something along the lines of, if you have to ask for one on freecycle then you clearly cant afford to look after it properly.

I have to agree with this, I must say, I do wish they would ban anything animal related, unless someone is offering an unused cage or fish tank or something of that nature.

The people I have met there have mostly been very friendly, but I've had a few time wasters. I havent experienced anyone out and out rude yet, so maybe theres hope for us Londeners after all. :pray:

Sarah.x

I find it really cheeky & irresponsible to ask for hen houses on freecycle! You just wouldn't would you? Surely if you are going to get any pet, you think about their housing & how much it's going to cost you in keeping & feeding it first. Fancy begging food on freecycle!

If you were that desperate for a hen house, you shouldn't be getting hens in the first place or you'd at least try building one first!

I need to buy another house for when the chicks come out of the brooder - but that's for a few more weeks yet. But the money is on one side for it. I wouldn't ask for a hen house on freecycle.

I've got my name down on the pug rescue waiting list too. The garden is now secure (because of the chooks) & I have a doggie basket waiting & bowls etc. Whenever you get any pet, it's a huge responsibility that needs to be taken into account!!!

Emma.x

I find it really cheeky & irresponsible to ask for hen houses on freecycle! You just wouldn't would you? Surely if you are going to get any pet, you think about their housing & how much it's going to cost you in keeping & feeding it first.

Sorry but I totally disagree :wink: Asking for something on Freecycle doesn't mean you can't afford to buy new if you have to or that you haven't thought long and hard about what your pet will need. Trying to get something pre-used before going the 'buy it new' route is very responsible in my opinion. There are always people wanting equipment for an imminent baby, it's not like the parents haven't thought what the baby will need, they probably realise that most baby equipment is needed for a very short time, and it is

totally sensible to get it second hand. I do feel :shock::shock: when people

ask for cars, but there again why not? Sometimes cars are offered, so why

not be cheeky and ask for one. Just my very humble opinion.

Tessa

The trouble is it is hard to tell whether people are trying to obtain secondhand items for animals, or even the animals, in an attempt to reduce, reuse, recycle (before making/buying one), or just to get a freebie. I think there are examples of both on our Freecycle.

Have to say I'm with you on this one, Tessa. I do :roll: when people ask for flat-screen TVs, but I have seen cars (usually old bangers), vans etc on FreeCycle.

I have responded to 'Wanted' ads, when I had something lurking in the loft or shed and it honestly hadn't occurred to me that anyone would want it - and at least you feel confident that they're going to turn up and collect it. I don't see anything wrong with asking for a hen-house, of course you'd have to have other plans if one didn't turn up, but always worth a try.

Eglus as we know are really easy to sell, but if you had a wooden coop and then gave up hen-keeping for whatever reason, you'd be less likely to sell it. Strikes me it's just the sort of thing someone might have in their back garden.

Still, as you say - just a matter of opinion, luckily there's no shortage of those on this forum!

I have seen the beggars on freecycle. though i have wanted and researched chickens fr a year people think its only because of chicken out week :evil: . the only reason that helped was hubby got interested and planned the coop and run.

I have to be honest i did ask for a metal dustbin and paving slabs on freecycle for my run.

I got the bin but no slabs. i only asked fpr slabs because i see them in peoples gardens and i thought someone might be grateful to get rid. Didn't have time to wait long so hubby got them in the end.

But asking for a coop or food totally out of order!

Surely if you need to get the basics for free how are you going to afford the essential like veterinary care?

Jo

I just thought I'd say that we have just acquired a hen house and run for free from Banbury freecycle. It wasnt that we couldnt afford one, more that if someone is giving one away, it will save us loads of money as well as keeping it out of landfill.

The reason we want to keep hens is I have had what appeared to be an egg allergy for the past 15 years, but dont seem to have issues with eggs from our next door neighbour. This will mean so much for us to be able to have our own 'allegy free' eggs.

I love freecycle, yesterday we also swapped our unwanted leather sofa and chair for various lengths of hose so we can make ourselves an environmentally friendly irrigation system - recycled hose to distribute recycled rainwater!