Snowy

Incontinent Hamster - help!

We have a lovely, female syrian hamster, only 9 months old. Now I've had hamsters in the past, but never one like this! She likes to spray her urine and poo out of the cage! :shock: She's been OK so far, but last time I mucked her out, she moved her bed up to a different level of her cage and has started spreading poo everywhere. Then today I noticed brown wee stains all over the table that her cage is on. She has been running round in her wheel and weeing as she runs, the wee drips through the wheel and is splattered all over the table and up the wall!!! :vom: Is this normal? Or do I have a delinquant hamster on my hands?? :?:roll:

I used to keep russians. Lots of them. One thing I did find was they were prone to diabetes and similar problems so whenever it came to wee problems with them my mind always seems to veer that way. I don't know how it could be related but I would get her checked out.

Get some Clinisticks from the Chemist Snowy as the vet will charge a fortune for a test and human sticks work just as well on animals :lol:

Thanks for that tip Louise, I did wonder if human clinistix would work (I can 'borrow' one from work :lol: )

I've asked the same question on a hamster forum (great these forums!) and it seems like a common problem in girl hamsters, especially when they come into season! :roll: A cardboard skirt seems to be the answer! :lol:

They work really well to give you a yes or no but if it is a yes you need to go to the vet for a proper test although it won't be easy to get a blood sample from a hamster :?:lol:

Yes that's what I thought. I'm still debating how I'm going to get a wee sample from her! :shock::lol:

Try picking her up using the loose skin at the back of her neck so you are holding her all the way along her body and if you hold her like that for a minute she will probably start to wee and just let it drip onto the stick :lol:

Good luck :shock:

I will try and find a link to a picture of how to hold her :lol:

A cardboard skirt seems to be the answer!

Wow - that's going to be quite a sight. How will you keep it on her waist - you'll need a tiny belt, won't you?

:lol::lol: sorry Snowy, couldn't resist that. I hope you can solve the problem!

Try picking her up using the loose skin at the back of her neck so you are holding her all the way along her body and if you hold her like that for a minute she will probably start to wee and just let it drip onto the stick :lol: :lol:

Ok.....i simple HAVE to know Louise....how do you know all this stuff and where did you learn it??!!! :shock::shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Just reread the bit about the cardboard skirt! That would be worth a try wouldn't it (and a picture!) :lol:

We now have a hamster toilet :roll: Some of her soiled bedding has been placed in it so she associates it with her urine and everywhere else has been disinfected (especially my walls :vom:) Her bed has been moved back to the lower level of the cage (I think she flicks her poo out of her bed - very commendable, but not if your bed is on the mezzanine) and made nice and cosy so she shouldn't feel the need to move floors again. And she has a hamster ball so the boys can play with her a bit more and she gets more used to being handled (although this does need careful supervision at the moment :oops: ) So far so good! 8)

This is the little offender (butter wouldn't melt :roll: )

DSCF1972.jpg

DSCF1969.jpg

It can be a problem with female hammies, although they are usually scrupulous about their toileting (like bunnies) and will go in one place. I used to have a jam jar on it's side in the cage with some absorbent bedding in it ('Carebed'). They always seemed happy to use that once they realised that it was a toilet, then I could clean it out regularly.