:) Thanks for update, Moomin. I've just spoken to Jan too (before I read today's posts). I mentioned this topic and chatted about the various aspects we've discussed here.

It sounds as if in general the Cubes are going out fine, with the initial glitch rectified, but they are happy to help anyone who does unfortunately end up with a less satisfactory one.

It must have been harder sorting out problems at the beginning of production when perhaps the process had some unforeseen difficulties, but it sounds smooth now.

Maybe I'm Omlet brainwashed, but Jan is really lovely & helpful, and their sales office really do want pleased customers.

It's refreshing to have contact with a company that really does care about its customer service, I know plenty of others that just don't bother.

I think I'm happy now to safely recommend the Cube in confidence that they are delivering a good product. I love the start of each day when I look out and see my Cube.

I wonder if I can fit in another.....(lilac perhaps?)

Hey, Egluntine, what are you waiting for? :lol:

Moomin, I really do hope it goes well for you. I'm sure they'll try & find the best solution when they visit.

I can't imagine being without my Cube now. :D

Thanks Sheila and Egluntine.

I have come back today from work and there is a little dribble of water in the nest box, not a largish puddle like yesterday, but it's been more windy than rainy here in Swindon today.

I've sent the photos off to Jan so hopefully just by looking they can see which bit looks wrong.

My hubby is excellent at DIY, so I think it's just the luck of the draw, we just got a naff one!! :(

It was quite hard to fit together, we had to force the holes to line up to get the bolts thru - even though we'd followed the instructions to the letter and adjusted the brackets and the runners for the lid. The bits just didn't fit together easily.

Sheila I agree with you about Jan and Omlet. She was very helpful on the phone and I'm really pleased that she's sending someone to cast their expert eye over it!

I'm glad there are lots of posts on here to say people are happy with their cubes.

Thanks for all your support. :lol:

Hi Dan

I'm really pleased that you are getting something done at last so at least some good has come of me moaning and groaning on!!

Unfortunately the husband is not so convinced that this visit will cure our problem and is insisting I go for the Eglu - I will have one more try but it's not looking good :cry: (I don't think it helped inspire confidence either that the roosting bars fell apart the minute we got them out of the box!!).

I'm pretty sure SueChicks message wasn't for me - I don't even have any chickens yet let alone a PVC skirt. Don't have the legs for it anyway :?

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I really wanted to be able to help. Maybe by comparing my ok one to your not so ok ones to see what the difference might be. I even went out just now with a torch to remind myself of exactly how it fitted together but I still can't work out for th elife of me which bits you're talking about so I'm not much help. If you do manage pictures for omlet I would be intrigued to see them.

I really wanted to be able to help. Maybe by comparing my ok one to your not so ok ones to see what the difference might be. I even went out just now with a torch to remind myself of exactly how it fitted together but I still can't work out for th elife of me which bits you're talking about so I'm not much help. If you do manage pictures for omlet I would be intrigued to see them.

see if this works you can see the gaps but we can't do anything about them the bits don't fit together

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh305/moominRos/

The gaps look about right Moomin. Mine is just like that. Feels very gappy and doesn't fit snuggly together. But mine definitely doesn't leak at that point (I've been out in the rain this evening and stuck my head in through the egg port to watch it! :oops: ). It must be the way certain ones fit together. I hope they can sort it out for you! :?

I have read a lot posts on here from people who asume that the designers of the Cube are the best people to put it together.

From my my experience this may not be true.

I design things, machinery etc, and whilst the design may meet all the requirements of this that and the other. It does not make me handy at building machines, I am not a mechanical fitter.

I have also read that the huge gaps around various panels are to aid ventilation, really?, I don't think so.

The fact of the matter is that not all Cubes fit together as they should and some are just assembled badly by whoever it may be.

I spent a lot of time making sure there were no gaps between the panels and ours has yet to leak,

However, plastic being plastic at least one panel has changed with age, and showed the afore mentioned ventilation albeit at a place that woudn't cause a problem.

I reckon this kind of thing may have caused the problems Dan is having,

I love our Cube and can honestly say I have had no problems with it, but can sympathise and understand the frustration of those who haven't had as much luck.

Can we please put the 'extra ventilation' thing to bed Omlet?, there are gaps between the panels because they don't fit together properly unless tweeked, this isn't a design feature.

Anyway, like I said I am extremely happy with our Cube but people are having issues with theirs which need addressing, the gaps in the panels excuse has always annoyed me a touch.

Kev.

Thanks Snowy & Kev.

My husband's an engineer and we had to do loads of the 'tweaking' that Kev refers to above - i.e. it took two of us and all our strength to get the sides to fit with the roof so that the holes lined up to get the bolts through! And this was despite the various adjustments to the steel brackets that holds the thing together.

Anyway I don't want to keep on about this as so many people are pleased with their cube, and I'm happy with the service I have so far got from Omlet to try to correct it.

But suffice to say my husband is not impressed and will not be convinced that everything will get put right. So I'm contacting Omlet when I get to work this morning and we are going for the Eglu :anxious:

Thanks again all for your kind support and I hope Dan's problems get sorted.

I believe that the plastic panels move out of alignment with age and I also believe that the duty cycle (opening and closing the lid) has an effect too, although I have no evidence to support these theories

This is exactly what we think, if it leaks now, and even if a fix is found, it may only be temporary, and it will leak again in the future. That's why we are sending it back.

Anyway, happy-ish ending, I called Jan at Omlet today and they are going to pick up the cube on 9th April and replace it with an Eglu.

And while the Omlet guys are in the area I took the opportunity to order 2 Gingernut girls to start off my little flock. I may call them Ronnie & Roxy and they will be the new girls on the block - can't wait!! :dance:

Hope you get it sorted Dan :pray:

ok, the rain came as requested, and my lilac cube leaks :cry:

Andy has taken a look and explained why to me. It is basically a design fault - the theory of the channel is good, but in practice it doesn't work. In layman's terms, water follows the path of least resistance. It is easier for the water to go round the edge and roll down the inside of the side panel rather than drip off and down channel. He is going to fabricate a very simple 'drainpipe' - about an inch long, protruding about 5MM, so still clear off the back panel, but ensuring the water goes down into the drain channel of the back panel. This will almost certainly resolve the problem. (this all as per himself, not my words!) This is something that Omlet need to incorporate into the design.

So I am £850 lighter, excluding delivery, and having to fabricate something that Omlet could have quite simply done themselves. It is a bit disappointing that they are still sending out the Cubes without having resolved the problem.

I love my Cube, I love Omlet products, but this and the naff bars (one of our sets is completely split along one of the bars) may ultimately undermine what is a reputable brand (sorry Omlet)

Edited by Guest

Redfrock I am so sorry to here that, having just been through the same experience I know exactly how you're feeling. :(

I really hope that you manage to resolve the situation with your hubby's plan, it sounds like a brilliant idea, but of course it should be necessary with the money we've all paid.

Anyway, good luck with it, you should tell Omlet about it so that they know that mine wasn't the only one to leak of the latest deliveries.

we are going to take some photographs so that everybody can see what we have done, and those that need to can do the same. I think those who's cubes don't leak may be the minority, given the nature of the problem, and it may be that they are in a very sheltered spot - please don't flame me if I am wrong on this!

It really is very simple - even I could do it - and it has definitely worked. :D Andy sprayed it with the hosepipe.

It looks like a brilliant solution Claire, and doesn't appear to physically alter the cube at all. I'm convinced mine is only dry because it is in a sheltered spot. I have a spare hose now, so will play with some water tomorrow and adapt mine if it needs it. 8)

It looks like a brilliant solution Claire, and doesn't appear to physically alter the cube at all. I'm convinced mine is only dry because it is in a sheltered spot. I have a spare hose now, so will play with some water tomorrow and adapt mine if it needs it. 8)

You are absolutely right, there is no alteration to the cube at all. The hosepipe can be removed at any time. It is simply pushed in. We are not going to glue it in place, for 2 reasons - it is a nice tight fit, and, as Dan said, that way Omlet cannot say we have 'physically' done anything to the cube itself.

I will however be ringing Omlet to tell them that we also have leaking cubes (yes, the purple one as well :( - and Andy really does know what he is doing). I should have also taken a photo of the bars we were sent. Considering they were taped onto the cube, I cannot see that "Ooops, word censored!"ody notice that one of the actual bars is split completely in 2 - I shall be asking for another set.

If anybody wants to email our modification link through to Omlet, by all means do (if it is worthwhile to do so) - I don't know how to

Edited by Guest

my new cube(3 days old) also leaks and omlet are in the process of sorting it out for me.We hope that a new left panel will solve our problem.The existing one is too long/misshapen and is pushing the back panel out and so leaving a gap which means the water bounces off it into the cube.

I cant see where your photos of your adaptation are?

thanks

A quick update - we have heavy rain since yesterday afternoon, and I can confirm Andy's modification has worked - the Cubes are dry :D

Dan - ours was leaking where the rain was bouncing off the bottom bracket as well. It was because the rain was running down the drain hole and across and down the side panel, then bouncing off the bracket and into the nest box. The hose pipe has prevented the water running down the side panel and is instead ensuring it is directed through the channels on the back panel. I know this might not be what is happening with you, but thought it might be worth clarifying our situation.

I must admit I am not thrilled at having to use a hosepipe modification on £420 (x 2) worth of equipment, and because of these issues, I cannot see the cubes having the resale value of the eglus, but at least it is working.

I have rung Omlet and told them and they have asked me to email James with photos.

Sorry about the way I am trying to reach you, but I don't know the proper way to send you a message.

I asked the forum about a picture I saw on here of a run with a PVC 'skirt' around it and a few people answered and said that it was your run.

Would you mind telling me how you made the skirt and what you used etc, because it looks like the solution to our messy hemcore problem around the run. It kills the grass around the run as it all piles up on it.

Thanks very much...

Don't know if it was mine you saw or not but have a look at the webcam link below of ours. It was made using that green PVC lawn edging from B&Q (or other diy or garden centres) with holes drilled every so often to fasten to the mesh with cable ties.

I went out yesterday at the end of a miserable day and a half of constant heavy rain to check on our cube, and was actually very surprised to find it completely dry... it's not particularly sheltered either, just nearish a wall, but still very exposed to the pouring rain... after reading this thread I ran my hands all over the inside of the eglu, checked the nest box and the two trays under the roosting bars, and not a drop of rain was to be found... makes me wonder what is different about some cubes, as some of the newer ones seem to be leaking and some don't... Before I bought the cube I called Omlet about this as I was worried about all those leaks reports and they said they had modified the design and it no longer leaked, but from all of you still having problems, it sounds like there is still an issue.

I'll keep an eye on mine in heavy weather, but so far seems I've been lucky... those hose modifications look fab, but it's true people shouldn't have to go through all these lengths for something that is quite expensive!!

Hello everyone.

Another leaky Cube here. My Cube came in November, and was chicken-less until 3 weeks ago. It was dry for the first week, but I think the weather was fine then,

Today I when I was emptying the poop trays I saw some spots of wjat I thought was pooey Aubiose in the nest box. BUt when I brushed the dry Aubiose away, I found the base Aubiose was completely saturated.

I've s"Ooops, word censored!"ed it all out and replaced with fresh Aubiose, and will show my DH this thread so he can see if he can apply one of the proposed fixes.

But in the meantime, I can recommend Aubiose in the nesting box for those of you who have leaks. The top stays dry, so is much more pleasant for the Girls.