Hi

I have built my own automatic door opener. It is not on an Eglue/cube, but it opens sideways like the cube, so could easly be fitted.

I have aslo been building my own coop.

It has been fully vanished inside and stained outside. Ladder built and fitted, along with door with automatic openeing systen via timer :D

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v654/jimauk/?action=view&current=MVI_3138.flv

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

A couple of pics from other side, showing how I have used 2 grow bag trays for the tray bottom over which are the roosting bars/floor area.

back is fully openable for access/cleaning plus side door for egg collection.

I have also used 3 rollaway nest boxes.

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

That looks great! I presume the roosting bars come out for scrubbing?

Are you going to have it inside a run of some sort? How many chickens are

you going to have, it looks as though about 20 could sleep in there :shock:

Tessa

Roosting bars come out as two sections, and then under are two plastic trays.

Nesting box holder and boxes are all loose, for ease of cleaning.

Infact nexting box is the same size as a third plastic tray. so by building the nesting box external the same house can increase in size for more hens.

Its overall size is just over 3ft x 2ft, plus minus area for next boxes. I am starting off with 6 hens.

Fantastic.

You want to make a couple more and flog them on Ebay.

You could give up the day job. :lol:

Or do both!

Selling the automatic door openers would be simple, I can soon make them and put a price to them, you cube people might be intrested?

Coops need a bit more time.

wow - what a great chicken-house! That looks really cosy - and I like the way it's all varnished, cleaning it should be easy.

I agree with Egluntine, you could sell those for a small fortune on eBay. You must be really handy to have around the house!

This is brill and sort of like my wish re my Eglu - I'm hoping someone will invent a remote control for the non locked Eglu door so as I can wake up at 7, go to back window - press a remote control button to open the door and go back to bed! :D

Maybe you could help Omlet in the development of this wonderful invention - I'm deadly serious!

Maybe you could help Omlet in the development of this wonderful invention - I'm deadly serious!

If somone form Omlet would like to contact me - great.

If not I will have the pleasure of not having to get up at the crack of dawn or remeber to shut them away. :P

If not I will have the pleasure of not having to get up at the crack of dawn or remeber to shut them away. :P

Does not look like anyone from Omlet is looking or if they are they are not commenting :D

Great looking chicken house - wishing you lots of happiness with your new chickens - and looking forward to seeing photos of it all up and running.

Great coop! I love the idea of being able to extend it aswell :)

I'm currently building an ark to introduce more hens to the group without putting them in the same run and risking attacks on each other. That would be especially bad with ex-bats! I'll post the photos of it when it's done but I can assure you it's nothing to the palace you've made. :shock:

Dom

Does not look like anyone from Omlet is looking or if they are they are not commenting :D

The guys at Omlet don't have time to read the forum, it's for our benefit! :lol:

If you want to discuss your invention, it's best to 'phone and explain, then see if someone wants to call you.

Of course, they might be working on something themselves, or not want to go down that route.

But, just explaining, they won't know about this topic!

Well done on developing your own though. 8)

PS. Just to remind everyone; we have a policy of not selling/advertising on the forum.Members may have a link to a website in their sig. but "Ooops, word censored!"ody should make posts encouraging people to look.

So, whilst admiring or discussing a product is fine, it can not be promoted for sale here. Just reminding! :D

[quote name='"sheila

PS. Just to remind everyone; we have a policy of not selling/advertising on the forum.Members may have a link to a website in their sig. but "Ooops, word censored!"ody should make posts encouraging people to look.

So' date=' whilst admiring or discussing a product is fine, it can not be promoted for sale here. Just reminding! :D[/quote']

I KNOW, you took removed my poll asking what people would be willing to pay for such an item.

I was not selling anything! Just conduting a survey.

I thought this forum was run by Omlet, if this is not the case I will contact them directly.

Don't mean to be a party pooper but.....

I also looked into the idea of having a self closing door. I decided against it when I went to close the Cube door one evening and one of our girls was asleep in the doorway, she has a habit of doing this especially in the summer.

There is a technique required in closing the door in such a way that she shuffles back into the Cube rather than into the run. I felt that my automatic closer would probably just jam her head in the gap.:shock: unless I also fitted it with some complex sensors and electronics which really didn't seem worth the expense or effort.

I think this is the reason why traditional automatic pop hole openers rely on a vertical door suspended by wire rather than a solid piston.

If you wish to market such a device then you would need to ensure it complies with the EC Machinery Directive, and possibly the Low Voltage Equipment directive and have it CE marked accordingly. This is a legal requirement and in itself is a major pain involving a lot of paperwork.

Kev.

Unit already has sensors in which would stop should a chicken stay put in the door whislt it is closing.

It is not like it is powered by a 10 tonne hydraulic ram :roll:

Hens arriving this weekend, will update with picture of complete and fully working set-up in garden.

Unit already has sensors in which would stop should a chicken stay put in the door whislt it is closing.

It is not like it is powered by a 10 tonne hydraulic ram :roll:

Hens arriving this weekend, will update with picture of complete and fully working set-up in garden.

Well like I said I was looking to automate a Cube door which doesn't have linear bearings as your set up does. I didn't mean to sound negative and I am sure your set will work fine, I am glad you had already thought of the scenario I mentioned (it was possible you hadn't).

As far as the force required to kill a chicken is concerned you are right 10 tonnes would be a touch too much, A car radio antenna motor would be a cheaper alternative. Only Joking :D:D:D:D

Good luck with the coop it looks great.

Kev.

Kev.