Guest Poet

suddenly had a craving for...

a dish my mum used to make for lunch on Saturdays, always was one of my faves. No idea if she made it up or if it's a wartime recipe or something but I don't know anyone else who's ever had it.

Slice an onion into rings and cover with milk, poach the onion in the milk until the onion is nice and soft. Then add slices of strong chedder and when it's melted, ladle into a pasta dish or a wide dish with sloping sides (so it doesn't slop over the edge) and eat with crusty bread and butter while still hot.

I sometimes sprinkle a bit of paprika over the cheese but it's gorgeous as it is.

Mine's nearly ready, can't wait :drool:

Sounds nice Poet :D

I love food that my mum or nanna's cooked when i was little - it gives me a warm feeling just thinking about it :D

Mums cheese and onion pie is just legend - she always brings some down when she visits! :drool:

Nanna B used to do brilliant hotpot and make the best egg custards ever! 8)

Nanna R's Sunday roasts were heaven and oh the chocolate cake too! :lol:

she made a lettuce leaf dipped in sugar sometimes as a treat :D

:anxious: im glad I had cream sandwiches now!!! :wink::lol:

hey! don't knock it til you've tried it! :lol:

she made a lettuce leaf dipped in sugar sometimes as a treat :D

:anxious: im glad I had cream sandwiches now!!! :wink::lol:

hey! don't knock it til you've tried it! :lol:

mmm :think: I have lettuce in the fridge but no sugar in the house....so thats that idea out the window then!!

phew! :whistle:

whilst we are reminiscing - did anyone else's nan make them eat cream on bread for teatime or is that just me? :?

Cream Cheese on bread! A very sour Cheese called Demi Sel or some such...not at all like Philadelphia.

My grandmother was French...so I always assumed it was a French thing.

I remember that cheesy onion dish! Not sure what it's called, but I think it's a Lancashire dish? :? It is very nice!

Our nana used to give us condensed milk spread on a butty! It was heaven - could still eat condensed milk from the tin these days..mmmm & Oh the caramel you can make with condensed milk! Yummy!

But the waistline won't allow for such naughtiness!

Emma.x

Yum! We used to like bananas, sprinkled with sugar and covered with the cream from the top of gold top milk.

Brown bread banana sarnies with honey

Rich tea biccies sandwiched together with butter

Oh.... and the Italian remedy for hiccups... sucking on a sugar lump.. no wonder they all have bad teeth!

We used to have beef sandwiches for tea made with dripping rather than butter and plenty of salt very yummy at the time but not so sure now :roll:

Also golden syrup on bread, I still love golden syrup and can't resist licking the spoon when making flapjacks :D

My grans fried bread, she grilled bacon most days and rarely washed the grill pan so would dip the slices of bread into the fat and then fry. When I think back I shudder at the thought of both the hygiene aspect and the fat aspect but it did taste delicious :shock:

My mum can still make sunday lunch smell better than anyone else :D