gooner.girl

Look what turned up...

At the rescue we helped at yesterday...

Isn't he gorgeous?! (the bird i mean - not DH! :wink:)

Picture004.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

I know Martin has come across cockerels before on rescues but i never have. Says something about battery farming that noone noticed him til he got rescued... :(

Unfortunatly, the poor lad was a bit unwell - all skin and bones - much bigger then the girls but also much lighter and had a poorly eye. Luckily one of the girls on the rescue team - Sophie is going to give him a good home... :D

In the past year, we've had at least 4 cockerals at the Sussex BHWT rescues :shock::shock:

Apparently they are real gentleman in the cages and let the girls have access to the food more than them.........that's why they are always skinnier :(:(

All of the Cockerals have found good homes and are enjoying their freedom :D:D

Look at the size of his comb!! :shock::shock:

All rescued hens (and the few cockerals) all have enlarged floppy combs. The battery farms are very hot and the only way chooks lose body heat is through their combs - hence they grow oversized combs :(

It takes about 6-8 months after they've been rescued for the combs to shrink back to a more manageable size.

Apparently they are real gentleman in the cages and let the girls have access to the food more than them.........that's why they are always skinnier :(:(

Ahhh! That will explain why he ate and ate and ate and ate when he was put down in the hospital wing....

Hill family - are the Sussex rescues Chichester way?

Gosh :shock: ! That is so sad :cry: . Of course we all know about battery hens, but I had never realised they are treated so much like machines, that no-one would even notice a male bird in there! I feel ashamed of the human race sometimes, and this is one of them :oops: !

I guess, although he should not have been in there, he is still alive. Where as his male friends as chicks would have been disposed of! Small blessing, I'm not sure :?

Ahhh! That will explain why he ate and ate and ate and ate when he was put down in the hospital wing....

Hill family - are the Sussex rescues Chichester way?

Yes they are - Sarah the Sussex Coordinator is having a problem at the moment finding a farm locally that's getting rid of birds.

May have to do what was done a few times last year and get the Devon rescue to take out an extra 250 girls for us. It's a long day for the girls to travel from Devon to Sussex.......but worth it in the end :D:D

that was back in march.......

here he is in July ( we did another pair of rescues last Friday and Saturday - shifting over a thousand girls....... boy it was hot!!)

we also now re-home cockerels on the side - here's Manfred all restored to cockerell-majesticness by Sophie's care and attention - and off to his new home...

well done Sophie!!!!!!!!

before...

Picture004.jpg

after...

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

unfortunately neither photo shows his magnificent iridescent green tail!

Phil 8)