I received my Eglu yesterday in the morning via courier and these are my first impressions : -

Negatives first :-

Run needs to be packaged better. One end of the box was open to the elements as the sticky tape had broken away although luckily no parts missing. On assembly I noticed that one panel had been damaged (plastic abraded away and starting to rust) over about 25mm - email and photo to James just before I wrote this.

I tried to fit the roosting bars but they were too big and were distorting the body of the eglu. The quality of construction of the bars leaves a lot to be desired (poor stapling and gluing). Lots of TLC with a plane, hammer and nails to get an acceptable result.

Positives : -

The kind people at Omlet are sending me a replacement set of roosting bars (new design coming soon I believe).

The eglu itself looks really nice and the door and egg hatch work without problem.

The substantial run went together well following the very clear instructions although it did take me longer than 45 minutes for the whole job!

I have secured the skirt all round with tent pegs, and now all I have to do is introduce the chooks to their new home

:D

Congratulations One Box!

What colour did you get?

I do agree about the roosting bars! I had to hammer a couple of short nails into the corners of mine, but they are still ok after nearly 2 years.

Where are you getting your hens from?

I picked up 3 'new' girls from Beaulieu in November last year. Lots of choice! :wink:

Are you getting 2 or 3 newbies?

Sorry, far too early for all these questions! :lol:

Hi Christian,

Just got back with the new chooks :D

I have a Gingernut Ranger named Maggie and a Pied Suffolk (Sussex hybrid) named Bonnie. They are lovely birds only 16 weeks old and already seem a lot tamer than the wife's bantams.

They came from Foxfield Fowls in Ringwood which is a lot nearer to me than Beaulieu although I'm thinking of making a visit to the other side of the Forest to see what their set-up is like.

It is tipping it down at the moment and the chooks have taken refuge under a temporary tarpaulin I have draped over the Eglu (I don't think they have seen rain before!).

Janty, perhaps they have changed their policy, how long ago did you have the problem?

congrats on the new eglu - I bought new roosting bars in December and only used them 2 weeks ago - they are in bits already - really shoddy workmanship for what you pay for them- over £12 with postage for a few bits of broken wood!. I am going to ask a joiner friend to sort mine with a nail gun. Also they broke on the joining piece of wood just like the original ones which came with my 2nd hand eglu.

Hi New Box we got our girls today too. What a blow about the weather I dont think ours had seen it before either and Im so glad we bought a taupalin just in case. I hope for sun tomorrow so we can both get snapping and we dont get so wet and cold sitting out watching them

I bet you did!)

Druid

I quite agree but since mine only needed 2 nails I didn't do anything about it. I know others have had bars that literally fell apart :shock: . I would certainly have complained then.

The rest of the eglu and run has been perfect so I'm about 99% happy :wink: .

I think they're are looking into making plastic bars which presumably would be more sturdy. The trouble is, those of us with bars already aren't going to fork out yet more money for those :? .

I would also love the plastic bars but I have 2 wooden sets so would need them to be completely trashed before I fork out again. I love the eglu but I think the run is rather small and I feel that adding on a convertor makes it even more difficult to get into - I woul rather a large enclosure I could walk into so I will have to save the pennies :lol: and learn to resist the forums usual money spending ways.

Tried to fit my replacement roosting bars this morning (thanks Omlet!). Again I had to spend about an hour with file, plane etc to get them to fit properly. This is really disappointing, I will definitely make my own should I need any more in the future. :(

Well the set that came with my second hand eglu have been fine and haven't fallen to bits-these were from one of the first Mark 2 eglus. However I made a new set with wider perches further apart so then the poo drops through them more easily and thus helping cleaning!

That would be my intention too ubereglu. I believe the bars should be of greater size mainly for the health and comfort of the chooks. I have an ark designed for bantams and that has a perch 2" square used by even the smallest rosecomb!