sheik

Chicken Adventure Playground pics

I've been having fun building an Adventure Playground for our chickens out of some old trees. This corner of our garden is going to be left as a "meadow" area for the chickens, although they have the run of the full garden anyway. The hope is that they'll prefer it over the herb garden!

These pics were taken just after I drilled some holes into the raised branches to hide corn in (inspired by an episode of "Monkey Business" on the Discovery channel! :)).

Luna instantly worked out the puzzle and was soon scrambling all over the branches whilst the others waited below for stray scatterings!

They do seem to like pecking amongst the logs and using them for perches. It will look nicer once the grass and meadowseed we've planted starts to fill in the bare patches.

playground_1.jpg

playground_2.jpg

playground_3.jpg

/\dam

That looks fun... and I bet the girls like it too... 8)8)8)

I've a branch in the run for our girls but never thought to put holes in and hide treats... now where's that drill? :D:D:D:D

Lisa

(new mum to The Staffs Lasses...

Daisy

Maisie 1st !eggbrown!TODAY

Rosie 1st !eggbrown! 7/5/08

in (green eglu) )

Looks brilliant; I'd like to do the same for my girls.

I've put a couple of old children's play chairs for them to perch on, along with their dust baths, which they love.

By the way, what funky looking chickens you've got - such groovy hairdos! :lol:

Our chicken area is a bit more mature this year, and we've got a better idea of which plants will survive being scratched etc.

I'm going to fence off the whole area so they can be segregated when we have a barbecue etc. Just need to work out a fence design that they won't jump over...

Here are some recent pics:

playground_4.jpg

playground_5.jpg

playground_6.jpg

playground_7.jpg

playground_8.jpg

/\dam

This looks great and has given me some ideas.

Howver have had my 4 hens for a month now so they are 14 weeks old but they dont seem to want to come out of their run. I can coax them out with food but they go straight back in after eating it.

I am glad that they feel safe in their run so dont want to force them out but would like to see them enjoying the garden.

Claire :think: