One Man Banned

Good Deed for the Day

Do many of us still think that we do a good deed for the day?

When we do such things it's such a nice feeling, maybe we helped someone close to us or a complete stranger.

Perhaps this could be a daily thread as a positive vibe to realise that all is not bad in the world.

I'll start.

Went to the garden centre and bought some plants, got to the car and there was an envelope on the ground next to my car, for hand delivery to a day home on the other side of town.

I knew I would be popping over to Sainsbury's and that's near the home, so I dropped it in on the way home. Nice to think that otherwise it may never have reached it's intended recipient :D

A

xx

A bit of a cliche.......but I helped a blind man over the road last week in Sheffield city centre on Debenham's corner, a particularly nasty spot, with a rather complicated traffic light system.

It was obvious that he was in difficulty, and people were shoving past him and totally ignoring his plight.

It made me feel ashamed of the conduct of that little subsection of the population of Sheffield....all rushing to McDonalds.

He was only a young chap....no more than 30....not that should make a difference.

A bit of a cliche.......but I helped a blind man over the road last week in Sheffield city centre on Debenham's corner, a particularly nasty spot, with a rather complicated traffic light system.

It was obvious that he was in difficulty, and people were shoving past him and totally ignoring his plight.

It made me feel ashamed of the conduct of that little subsection of the population of Sheffield....all rushing to McDonalds.

He was only a young chap....no more than 30....not that should make a difference.

Did he actually want to go over the road Egluntine?

Funny you should mention it- last week on way to drop off supplies for Younger Son, saw a woman with a dog looking worriedly at her watch at the loneliest bus stop in Surrey. I stopped and gave her and Mutley a lift to next village, ended up driving her to her door. Turned out she was going to be late for the dentist if left to the mercies of our totally pants Public Transport down here..

*Polishes Halo* :angel:

Nice thread!

I gave a nurse who came to assess my dad in hospital a lift back to the nursing home so she didn't have to get a taxi. (A few weeks ago, hope it still counts!)

In a garden centre last week, someone had left their car's parcel shelf in the carpark so I took it in and gave it to the staff.

Nothing too saintly, but you're right, it does make you feel good :D .

I went and got Mrs A's shopping for her, then put her bin bags out.

Ther was an article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday You mag by this woman in the US who leaves envelopes around with some loose change inside. On the outside she writes something about hoping that it makes a change to someone else's day. She encloses an SAE to her PO Box and asks them to let her know what they have done with the money... A very small percentage ever reply :?

I found a wallet the other day, with money and credit cards inside, and a driving license... I guess it belonged to a student, the address on the driving license was not local...

Spent ages on the internet and through various directory enquiries, trying to find the wallet owner... unfortunately I had to give up as I couldn't find anything, even the non-local address had no associated registered phone numbers (or the neighbours of that address... they don't seem to be big on phones and directory listed numbers there)... felt disappointed cause I had hoped to be able to trace the girl, it must have been worrying for her having lost her cash, cards and documents, and getting it back faster would have meant less hassle for her thinking of cancelling cards, replacing license and so on...

Went to hand it in to the police station, who at first didn't want to take it!! I hope she eventually got it back.

hmm, that's a sad reflection! (edit - on Claret's post, not on yours, Ziggy!)

I genuinely believe that if you do things for others, then you create the opportunity for others to help you when needed. I have had some 'guardian angels' over the years - complete strangers who helped me when my car broke down, when I got lost etc, and I hope I have given as much to others.

One thing I will not do, however, is take a photo of someone with their camera. A man asked me to do this a few years ago at Sissinghurst Castle ..... and I dropped his camera! :oops::oops:

This is a great thread, and it's no surprise to me that Omleteers enjoy doing Good Deeds! :wink:

I helped an old lady to get on and off the bus last week. She hadn't been on a bus for years, but was meeting a friend to go to a concert in town. She was so nervous. The bus driver was quite grumpy when we got on and I insisted on getting her seated before buying my own ticket. He obviously thought about it on the was into town ecause when we got there he got out and put the ramp down for her.

Last Tuesday I was going home from work sick and stopped at the supermarket to get a couple of things and in one of the aisles was this woman desperately trying to reach the top shelf so Ilifted her a 4 pack of yahoo down :lol:

I nearly didn't stop to help as really was feeling bad but then I thought how much effort is it going to take 8)

I sometimes stop at bus stops to give lifts to people I know or recognise from my area :wink:

I remember once driving through a village near me and there was a woman in a business suit thumbing a lift she looked desperate so I stopped and gave her a lift to the nearest town so she could get a bus into Edinburgh as her car had refused to start, She had used an old bus timetable which meant she had just missed the bus and there wasn't another for about 45 minutes so that was a good deed :lol:

Am posting this one for OH :D A bus stop is right outside OH motorbike shop. Last week two drunk guys got on a bus at the stop and were being very agrressive and verbally abusive to the driver and in turn scared some of the passengers. OH and his young employee removed them from the bus but called the police before doing so :D The police arrived and it turns out that they are here illegally :roll: Later that day after the bus drivers shift, he came back and thanked them :D

At the same bus stop last year a blind lady was waiting for a bus along with a bunch of rowdy teenagers. They were trying to kick in the door of the empty shop next to OH's shop. The lady asked what they were doing and also asked them to stop. They in turn took her stick and pushed her over. OH called the police and an ambulance. One of them got away but was stupid enough to have his name on the back of his football shirt, he was known to the police so was easily found :D Not sure if it makes it worse but it was not just boys that were involved :(

The lady asked what they were doing and also asked them to stop. They in turn took her stick and pushed her over. (

:shock::shock: I can't believe someone would do that to any old lady, let alone a blind one :shock: . Thank god they got caught. Did you find out what, if anything, happened to them?

I did not explain myself very well :oops: She was not old, it was her white stick they took and broke it (forgot to mention that) :? Not sure if OH ever found out if they got charged or anything. As you can tell, OH shop is not in the nicest of areas :roll:

On the way to the post box a couple of hours ago our neighbour asked if we could help him to stop cutting the hedge by drinking some of his beer. Couldn't really turn him down could we......missed the postman though.

gosh that was public-spirited of you.... :wink:

I've just done today's good deed. My friend rang and said her car, which is very old, is making a funny noise and has to go into the garage. Please could she borrow mine (less than a year old) to get to work tomorrow. I wouldn't normally hesitate, but she has only been driving for six weeks! :roll:

I've said yes. :angel:

I've just done today's good deed. My friend rang and said her car, which is very old, is making a funny noise and has to go into the garage. Please could she borrow mine (less than a year old) to get to work tomorrow. I wouldn't normally hesitate, but she has only been driving for six weeks! :roll:

I've said yes. :angel:

Brave woman as well as a saint :shock:

Tessa

How about a look at it from the other side? Has anyone done a good deed for you (or someone you know) recently?

Last friday, my brother was in the departure lounge at Birmingham Airport when he noticed his wallet was missing. After several frantic minutes going through all pockets and hand luggage and looking desperately around, he asked if it had been handed in... it HAD! With all UK and holiday currency, cards and ID intact!