Trapper

Eurovision song contest, who cares who wins!!

Was I watching.......maybe!

We had a Birthday/Eurovision Party and I've just popped on before nipping off to bed.

Will try to get hold of some photo's from those present. I decided (against all wisdom) to dress up as DQ - Denmark's entry last year and mime my way though her number, but it was fun at least :lol:

A BBQ, a bit of booze - I'm tipsy as I type this :oops: and a wonderful evening with lots of friends,

Disappointed that Poland didn't score higher, Sweden was my favourite but Dima Bilan {swoons} is a lovely artist, and I will get round to downloading his albums this year - but nothing political in this years final was there :liar:

The sooner we stop bankrolling the Eurovision the better, we should only get to the final on merit - not just because we put up some of the money for the event.

Not as good as last year tho, but will be driving to Lesley's tomorrow with Europop blaring :lol:

A

xx

I never watch it (remembering the endless evening of listening to scores back at mum's house), but we have relatives over and they were keen to watch it... I must admit it is more fun when there are 11 of you watching and shouting their opinion... My heart did sink though when I realised 43 countries were about to give their votes!!! Thought we'd never go to bed... thank goodness they only read out the three top scores... when I was little they use to read everything out...

I liked the russian entry... and the turkish one...

The French entry really puzzles me... what on earth was that all about???? What made people come up with that kind of thing, and what made people vote for it?

I had some friends over also - one of them lives in mallorca and was cringing throughout spains entry :lol: It was pretty awful this year and it was pretty obvious russia were gonna win when they dragged out the famous ice skater dude to support their cause during the show.....at least they tried and won i guess!

I didn't watch it. Usually I do, not so much for the ghastly acts, but just for the giggle factor of Mr. Wogan's commentary :) If, as it seems, we have absolutely no chance of ever getting near to winning it again, I can't honestly see the point of us continuing to enter it. It is a 'contest' after all, and who would enter a competition knowing they could never win? If Tel decided to quit as the commentator I don't think half as many people would watch it and it would probably end up as something that 'Europe' did but we didn't :)

Tessa

I also cringed with the Spanish song, how embarrassing can they get... :oops: Apparently the guy is not even Spanish, but from Argentina - obviously they couldn't get an arrogant, vane, Spanish male to do something so daft :twisted:

Our French au-pair assured us that not all French women have a facial hair challenge. :wink:

I personally did rather like Armenia (beautiful lady with a dancy song and a lovely outfit), Latvia (fun song with all the pirates, reminded me a little of Waterloo), and my boys loved Finland (must say the Finnish singer was easy on the eye too :wink: )

The best part for us is Terry's comments and slagging off contestants - I was sure the Polish singer was a guy. OH liked the Greek Britney Wannaby, but I couldn't stand her affectation and artificial overgirliness, my boys kept skicking their fingers in their throats and asking for the bucket every time she appeared making silly faces. :twisted: It was fun with our 3 nationalities household!

We all agreed they should cut out the songs and just get the voting and Terry's commentary. It's not as if the singing makes any difference to the voting anyway. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I thought they all sounded very similar this year - apart from the few wierd ones. I didn't think ours was that bad, but I liked the Ukraine one best followed by Latvia and Finland. Why was Norman Wisdom performing? He must have had surgery - looked quite good for his age! Russian one was pants (he should have been a member of a boy band) and I don't understand why Greece was so popular - the Armenian one was virtually identical if not better (although a lot of the top runners appeared at the end of the show).

Still, we record it and skip through the dreadful interruptions - except for Tel's input which is always funny. OH and DD like to write down scores - I tend to put rude comments on mine and then mark them out of 10.

Plus the awful ones are entertaining - I was looking forward to the turkey, and if he didn't make it and Spain and Boznia did, then just how bad was it? :?

I didn't watch it this year although I usually do, but I'm another that tends to tune in for Terry Wogan's commentary more than for the music. But I heard somewhere that he's not going to be doing it again :shock: . I'm not sure if I dreamt that, certainly I can't recall where I heard it but if that's true it really won't be worth watching again.......he just makes the show in my opinion :D

But I heard somewhere that he's not going to be doing it again :shock: . I'm not sure if I dreamt that, certainly I can't recall where I heard it but if that's true it really won't be worth watching again.......he just makes the show in my opinion :D

:shock::( Really? I've not heard this, but I wouldn't be surprised he must be sick of having to watch rubbish acts year after year. I wish I'd watched it now if it was Terry's last gig.

Tessa

I think he was fed up with all the political voting, may as well rename it the "Eastern block song contest" as everyone was voting for their neighbours rather than the best song. He sort of did hint he might not be back.

We wanted the French song to win just because it was completley insane, what on earth is a "Chivers", used to be a brand of jelly when I was little :?

I am not french but belgian, so maybe that doesn't count, but as a belgian french speaker (which logistically speaking is french - belgium is an error on a map - but errors get to get their own personality after a while and become entities) - that french song left me totally baffled...

The visual, the sound, and the meanings, totally defied the wildest imagination...

Maybe that's what they bet on.... total utter bafflement (is that a word... or my own french-belgian-scottish-english language??)

Oh you got me curious... want to see the belgium entry now...

A made up language??? Gosh as a linguist I'm tickled now...

Though as an english speaking french native, I didn't get a single word of the french entry.... :?

for those of you who like to score next year go to the BBC Eurovision Website you can download a score sheet with all the final acts in order and score each of the following out of 12 to get your score

Song, performance, dance routine, costume.

We have my parents round and had great fun scoring from 6 to 45. We did it last year too,