That looks really lovely. Lucky hens! :D8)

Can I ask a question of everyone please? How do you fix your grubs and glugs?

I want to fix them around the walls of our run but can't work out what to use. DH tries hard but is not very imaginative. He has fixed some dowling rod to the uprights but when I put the food and water containers on it, it bends and everything falls out. :roll: I would be thrilled with any better suggestions!

Its not very often i have a genius idea however i had this problem recently when we wanted to hang the glug & grub up on the side of our run.

I had an old dryer rail - the ones you hang over the radiator with two rails on which to hang clothes.

I kept the hooked bits on there and chopped off the straight bits that hold it away from the radiator.

The hooks go through the weldmesh and then i pop on my glug & grub - works a treat and hasnt bent yet!! :idea::D:D:D

I did think that was what it looked like Jay! I haven't got one - but I must definitely sort something out. :roll:

When the run was divided, I bought some long troughs for food which get knocked over, aubiose and worse gets kicked into them and of course there is no protection from the rain. The drinkers are nearly as bad because they get clogged up with aubiose or knocked over. I can't wait to get everything neatly clipped onto the fences.

The radiator airer is not turning out to be a great sucess :(

The glug is too heavy fir it so it is on the run floor supported by bricks (which does seem to be working)

And the Grub is still on the radiator airer but on the bottom wire as they kept knocking it off of the top one. So now it is sort of resting on the floor being supported by the airer!! :?

Am going to try to get them to use bunny water bottles and if I have any luck I will buy a couple of big ones.

Not sure what to do about the food though.

Have also screwed some small cup hooks into the run in different places so I can hang treats up for them at different heights. Like to keep them busy :D

Right have been doing my research

Can I ask a load of qustions, some cheeky

How big is your run?

Did you build it, buy panels have it made etc?

How much did it cost?

Would you change anything about the design if you did it again?

How many hens do/would you keep in it?

My run is a converted greenhouse, about 8 feet by 6, housing four birds. My Eglu is attached to the side through a hole in the wire (rather than keeping it inside).

I converted it from an old aluminium-framed greenhouse (removed remaining glass, wrapped in chicken wire and mesh). It cost about £50 in total because I already had the greenhouse frame.

If I did it again, I would design in a pophole to an external run - easier to do these things at the start than later on.

Hope that helped!

My Eglu is attached to the side through a hole in the wire (rather than keeping it inside).

Could you tell me the method you used to attach your Eglu to the wire, this is what I intend to do in my new run. Also could somebody tell me if corrugated plastic is ok to use as roofing on the run, I intend to overlap it but could a fox rip it off?

Tessa

I cut a hole smaller than the opening of the Eglu (you'll need to measure, especially given that the front of the Eglu isn't vertical). Then, snipped the wire back into three large flaps and pulled them out until they met the Eglu.

To physically attach it, I used the existing screw points and washers the Eglu uses to attach to its own run, and added a couple of my own by drilling small holes and inserting self-tapping screws with washers.

Then, I needed to use wire to fill in a couple of gaps where I'd snipped to make the flaps (sewed back and forth across the gap with fence wire I'd been using to attach the chicken wire to the greenhouse frame).

Job done - it works well and has survived moving the entire edifice several times. Just undo the screws and the Eglu detaches easily.

As for corrugated plastic, you can certainly use it. If the roof is less than six feet up, you might be as well to put chicken wire over the roof, too, just in case. And don't forget that foxes can bite through ordinary chicken wire. If there are many in your area, you might want to consider weldmesh.

Having seen all the great runs on here at 9:30 this morning, by 10 am I was at B&Q getting the timber for our version. Just finished 5 hours later, and the whole family had great fun making it.

Next Saturday we welcome two new birds so the offcuts have made a temporary shelter for the new girls until they all get used to each other.

Having seen all the great runs on here at 9:30 this morning, by 10 am I was at B&Q getting the timber for our version. Just finished 5 hours later, and the whole family had great fun making it.

5 hours ? :shock:

I haven't started the big run yet (Eglu, then chickens, then big run) and SWMBO thinks I'll be able to buid ours in a similar time... she's such a dreamer :lol:

any chance of some photos ?

I should be starting on ours in a month or so

there is a photo on the gallery section if you type Inspired into the search criteria. or image reference IMG00252. I have left us the option to add a roof later if necessary as we have no problem with predators where we are.

Total cost £110!!!

As for the new girls, gonna call them Tilly & Brush after the management team at my beloved Southend United.