Hi, I couldn't help noticing that a lot of these runs have lots of chickens in, and was wondering why no one elseseemstohave bullying problems...

Our chickens (three of them) have a fairly large area of mud with bark chips (not much left now though) and an eglu run. Yet we have just had some very nasty bullying going on... (see post in chicken clinic for more details, any advice gratefully recieved)

Is this because the chickens in these runs are allowed to free range more than ours (once a week) or that they are just nice chickens! Or is is because they have more stimulation, if the last one does anyone have any ideas?

I just read through that and it sounds like I am being quite mean, not at all intentional, I am merely curious and think that all the runs here are amazing and wish I had the time to build one!

Thanks

Eve

I had a smallish run at first too, and we had no bullying, but I think it's down to the breed of chickens. We specifically chose layed back, chilled out breeds.

well we have a pepperpot (hetty, old) and Pearl (blubelle, new) bullying Daisy (Ginger nut, new) in their fairly big area, as I said maybe it is down to the lack of stimulation? I don't know what those breeds are like for bullying behavior but I thought they were supposed to be fairly laid back (esp. the ones from Omlet?)

Hi I have3 ex bats of 12weeks. Now i heard read that Hybrids are docile but I too have a pretty major problem. I have an Eglu & run with a home made 8 ft extension.

mine free range from approx 10 till 8 sometimes less with maybe the odd hour or 2 here & there back in the run while I go out! while they are out it is 2 real good buddies & one left out! miss indepence the adventurer intrepid explorer Moe also known as Danger Chook.they started out ok, then the now main buly/top chook nearly died and was separated sick(3 weeks in) in the house with us. the other 2 seemed to get along ok, just acted like caged animals a lot of pacing & shouting to be free!then Meany got better & better bigger & fetheryer then noticed Moe who was the best feathered not improving as the other 2 and the other 2 got nastier & nastier with her, & she now often gets stressed if left in the run with them, so it is supervised play only. I even bought a cctv camera to keep asn eye on them. thought I had a breakthrough afew times then they start again.

I have put 2 roosting planks at dif heights across Eglu run.

A potted shrub, 3 feeding places 2 lots of water & grit, a cat box for hiding behind & nesting in when separated. A log. a hanging feeding station that you can get all around a floor stading one with a roof. So stimulation is not the problem. they just don't like her. One Meaney is meaner than Greedy but she is top chook. they chase her of fif they think theres something nice even in 167 ft of garden.

I am disparing of getting them in one run all the time so that I can go away. have even thought of sending main bully right away for a week, but now Greedy is being mean to her.

My runs are low and was wondering if those pictures if tall walk ins are what is needed!

I watch for advice also.

Just saw the question about the bench - I think it was ToysRUs a few years ago - but our kids are too big for it and it is a bit broken so rather than throwing it away we gave it to the chickens!

Bullying - I think we don't have any because there are only 3 in each run, so a relatively small flock size. When we had 4 in the green run, Dopey did get a bit bullied, and that was why we needed to build the blue run. I still haven't managed to fully integrate Dopey with Snowdrop and Smokey - so they live together but apart iyswim!

I am really confused now, you say there are only three in each run, same with us... I think maybe Hetty is just a big (literally she is HUGE!) meanie who likes to bully poor little Daisy... They now have loads of space, but my Mum is getting very annoyed about having to give up her garden.

Here is our new chicken run which I can take no credit for, it's by the fabulous Aviaries4u which I can't rate highly enough!

chickenrun001-1.jpg?t=1220805690

It's for our 3 ex-batts, Maggie, Myrtle and Matilda. Also, I couldn't face a winter of crawing into their run! The bit off to the side of it is their patio/dust bath area.

Edit - gosh, sorry that was screen size!

I like the look of this. :clap: May I enquire as to what size it is please. (ft & inches pleeeese) Also how much.

The Eglu run is horrid to clean isn't it. :!: Also & have OH built an extension & find putting food & water in isa pain in the back too. have a hanging one in ther. think there should be a cleaning hatch built into the top of it :roll:

Shame Aviaries4u is so far south of us - I like their designs and am really coveting the large eglu run at the bottom left (I think it is) of their gallery page........ being able to walk in and out would be great!!! We currently have an extended eglu run which is murder to clean out as I have to stretch with a rake from each end. I can't easily move the run to clean it by myself as the skirt is weighed down with heavy stones all the way round and we've also laid planking round as a kickboard to keep the hemcore in......so roll on the day I get a walk-in run!!!! :lol:

I don't know if this will help, but i got 2 cheap rolls of that nast y clear plastic runner stuff.

the stuff you put on your hall carpet meant to keep it clean.

Well cut into 3 pices. I lay 2 inside the Eglu run, mine don't seem to go near the door except to go to bed or lay! so stays clean there.

with thje aid of a long hoe & practice I can get the furthest bit in ok.

Don't laugh... went to France for daytrip came back with a brilliant long handled sea side spade (metal) :D

Well can pooh pick with that & the long handled hoe. Then ever other day or so depending on weather & time thaey are NOT free ranging & in there poohing I take them out & wash em down.

Use the other bits in home mde extension which has removable lid!

Agree with all you say re EGlu run..

Oh & we drilled holes for rain to drain through with a hot rod! :D

Shame Aviaries4u is so far south of us - I like their designs and am really coveting the large eglu run at the bottom left (I think it is) of their gallery page........ being able to walk in and out would be great!!! We currently have an extended eglu run which is murder to clean out as I have to stretch with a rake from each end. I can't easily move the run to clean it by myself as the skirt is weighed down with heavy stones all the way round and we've also laid planking round as a kickboard to keep the hemcore in......so roll on the day I get a walk-in run!!!! :lol:

Tony at Aviaries4U can organise delivery. We are having our 2.5m x 4m run delivered at a cost of £87. I think this is very reasonable as we live 160 miles away and could not hire a van + fuel any cheaper. I'm convinced that this is the best quality run we could find in the UK - so it's worth it.

Hope this helps.

Tony has done us proud with our very own 'Fowlty Towers', he also fully supports BHWT SO anyone purchasing a run mentioning 'Jayne at BHWT' (me :wink: ) will generate a donation.

You can see our run on my blog at the Omlet Planet or http://www.jaynetherapy.vox.com.

The best thing to do, if anyone is interested, is to visit his website and email or send an enquiry and discuss things with him.

Buffie x :D:D

Wow, Buffie! Your run is fabulous! I am so :mrgreen:

It makes my home-made run look very second rate. Especially as my roof leaks in so many places, the floor still gets wet when it rains. I like the separate area. Brilliant idea for introductions and any other reason you might want to separate hens.