Hi. Hope this works as I am a newbie to the club and this is the first time I have 'spoken' to you all! I feel I should put a smilie in here but maybe that will be in my next message....

Thanks for the pics of your wonderful runs, I feel totally inspired to send my husband out there to do as good a job as all of yours! Do your houses look as good!!!!! "Ooops, word censored!"ody told us how expert my lovely 3 chickens are at totally destroying a garden, and I thought I wasn't garden proud.

Thanks again.

Jacky, Missy, Lottie and Meg.

OK, here are some pictures of my run, which my lovely husband has built for me. It took him weeks, but it was finally finished in the nick of time as we collected our girls from Wernlas yesterday :D

I am calling it Hensington Palace, because it is! The roof is green Corioline, the 6 panels at the rear are polycarbonate to give some protection from the weather as we are on a high and exposed site. As you can see we are also on a steep slope, which caused some problems, but Hubby seems to have got round them all. The run encloses a small apple tree.

SouthAfricafirstchookpics056.jpg

SouthAfricafirstchookpics057.jpg

SouthAfricafirstchookpics058.jpg

SouthAfricafirstchookpics059.jpg

SouthAfricafirstchookpics060.jpg

Please let me know if those pics are still too big - I have resized them, but maybe not enough?

Heheheheh! Sorry ANH, he's definitely neither for sale or rent! :mrgreen: He has had a whale of a time playing with his new mitre saw - bargain of the century, a tenner off ebay. he says the best tenner he's ever spent! Seriously though, he has made a great job of this, and it wasn't as easy as he first thought it would be, especilally with it being on such a steep slope, and needing to be 'extra' foxproof as we have very regular sightings of Mr Reynard :shock: .

I put some little mirror tiles up for them this afternoon, providing hilarious scenes of them all pushing to get a look at themselves - priceless! I have also suspended the feeder on a chain from a beam, which will save me from having to take it in every night - hopefully this will thwart any slugs that might fancy some growers pellets (perish the thought, ugh!).

Hopefully they will put themselves to bed tonight. Last night I had to put them in, and they all slept in the nestbox. I had to help them out again this morning and they weren't happy about it. I put 3 out, and Gilda managed to negotiate the ladder by herself when she saw the writing on the wall! I'm hoping she'll show them the way to bed tonight. I've put a torch in the nestbox and I'm just off to check them as it's gone properly dark. At the mo' it's a toss up between Gilda and Mary Alice for top chook. MA is oldest, but Gilda is pluckier!

lisa, yours is gorgeous too, just wondering about the roof though :think: was it just unfinished when you took the photo?

I love the different levels for the chooks to play on, it looks great :clap:

lisa, yours is gorgeous too, just wondering about the roof though :think: was it just unfinished when you took the photo?

I love the different levels for the chooks to play on, it looks great :clap:

Yeah, it was unfinished.

We now have a reed fencing roof over the unsheltered bit. :D

The girls do love their playground bit. :D

I've been looking at all the runs and have become inspired. Can anyone tell me if 25mm galvanised wire (B&Q sell it) is strong enough to protect chicks from foxes, as I believe that they can bite through wire??

We were going to just fence off a section to protect chicks from dog but now think that the fully enclosed runs that we have seen here are fab and want one of those instead!

I've been looking at all the runs and have become inspired. Can anyone tell me if 25mm galvanised wire (B&Q sell it) is strong enough to protect chicks from foxes, as I believe that they can bite through wire??

'Fraid not, a fox would easily bite through it. You need 16gauge weldmesh, I don't think B&Q sell it, search on E.bay there are often very good deals for Weldmesh. Good luck building your new run.

Tessa

Thanks for the suppliers.

Another question - is 2"x2" wire mesh suitable or is 1"x1" mesh better. The 2" mesh seems to be much cheaper, bigger holes so less wire hence cheaper.

Just looked in the Hills of Devon website, can't believe that it's only £43 for 30metres of 2 inch mesh AND free delivery. Just to check is it the Aviary Mesh and not the wire netting that I need.

If 2 x 2 inch mesh is ok I'll order it monday. Just worried that the holes are too big.

My partner said ask the builders on the side of the road for any broken bits of welded mesh.My other halh brought loads home from work and its brilliant no fox will get throught it.Whats more we never paid for it.There are loads of road workers that will point you in the right direction and they want rid.