I have borrowed a few ideas from this thread but one thing I am unsure about is foxes and cubes.

Mr Fox is quite brazen in our area and is often seen in middle of afternoon so fox proofing is vital for me as the garden is not visible from the house.

I am having a roofed WIR built for me (thanks to recommendation on here and on another forum) which will be resting on slabs, so that is as fox proof as I can make it. I want the Cube to be outside of the run and pushed up to a hatch (hope that makes sense). How fox proof is the cube? I did have the idea of maybe using rachet straps or cable ties to just attach the cube to the run ... something firm but easily moveable when I want to take apart the cube.

What have other cube people used?

I should say I already have a smaller run with a wooden coop that is in current use, the cube and new WIR is the upgrade that is going in a more sheltered area.

I hope this is the right thread to ask the question, feel free to tell me off if not.

I've been following this thread for a while now in preparation for finally getting chickens...

I am now the proud owner of 4 hens and as we now term it 'Chookland'. Not quite an Eglu but we were left a fully tiled 6x8 shed by the previous owner, with caged sections inside... (for chipmunks or something?).

Have converted this into our chicken coop and built walk in run on the side. Lots of ideas stolen from this topic so thank you for the inspiration.

Hope this picture posts.

7603352420_90fbd1aa84_m.jpg

IMAG3261 by Elugena, on Flickr

I'm giving it a big clean out this afternoon, as it happens :lol: .

I take the lid off the eglu and take it out through the main door, followed by all the other bits. Any bedding I just brush onto the floor of the WIR which I then rake up and put into old soil bags for the compost bins (or mulch).

I've found that smooth planks/shelves are so much easier to clean than branches (doesn't look as nice but hey ho!). I use a wallpaper s"Ooops, word censored!"er and old icecream tubs for daily poo collection from the planks etc.

I got them from Tarpaflex and cut them to size, adding eyelets where needed. They've not lasted well though and I've had to s"Ooops, word censored!" them, so I can't really recommend them :( . We do have an extremely windy garden so maybe if you're sheltered, you'd get on better than I did.

I now use acrylic sheets with Rapstraps holding them on at the corners. Much more durable and easier to clean 8) . If you search for "acrylic" on the forum you should find the threads about them :) .

Thought I'd share my WIR...

image_zpse02e6b15.jpg

image_zpsb3caf8e1.jpg

I hope that works, it's the first time I've posted pics using Photobucket!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced noise from the corrugated roof on the WIR when it rains? I want to add a roof as it's a complete muddy mess in there but am conscious of neighbours (already get stressed out when the girls are noisey in the morning!)

Advice needed please! Xx

Thanks guys, it's great to hear positive comments when you feel like you're battling against it all! Sadly the ground is now pure mud soup inc the fenced off FR area so will have to roof it I think.

That's a lovely setup 8) .

I have a corrugated plastic roof (is that what you're planning?). There's no discernible noise from it and my neighbours are very close so you should be ok.

Yes I was planning on this or clear flat plastic sheeting (rigid not tarps) as my Dad may be able to get his hands on some free stuff - fingers crossed. Don't think I'll bother with guttering as the water can go over the fence at the back of the run.