After a weekend of hammering, lifting and dragging, the chooks new house is ready and they're thoroughly enjoying their new home. So are we, in fact, as it makes it much easier to interact with the little ladies.

We were going to build our own from scratch, but ended up ordering a nice big compound that would take the Cube and give lots of room for the chooks to roam while we're out at work. Gave them a bit of added stimulation with some branches for perching and a pile of rocks to climb around on. The floor is covered in wood chippings.

2009-new-run-after.jpg

The aviaries4u runs look really good, and the panels look a but like how scenery flats are made that are used in theatres. So its given me a few ideas :wink:

I'd quite like to have a go at building my own run to replace the run we have at the moment because it only has a half sized door and gets really slippy when it rains :x .

Do those ever panels come off for cleaning out the floor etc, or are they permanent?

Make sure you post lots of photos, Andrew :) . That will keep me going till mine comes :( .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone know what kind of maintenance the A4u runs require? I know they're made with pressure treated timber but presumably they'll need some sort of treatment after a while? I could always ask Tony but there are lots of DIY experts on here!

I promised Tony I'd take as many as possible, both during construction and with everything complete. I've been updating my chooks website in preperation, there's now a section dedicated to the build, which you can view here. Providing the weather is good next weekend the construction process starts at 8:00am Saturday morning, with everyone taking part, kids and all :doh:.

Andrew

*sigh* That really is a lovely run 8):D . Love the pictures :clap: .

Why has everyone except me got their A4u runs already :cry::cry::cry: .

I am runless too Vicki :(

The Omlet effect is definitely taking hold in the Lo household. I have just been on for a quote from Tony. The only thing is that we are after more chooks so I have asked about the integration pen but I am wondering whether I may be able to borrow an eglu from someone for the introduction bit???

The aviaries4u runs look really good, and the panels look a but like how scenery flats are made that are used in theatres. So its given me a few ideas :wink:

I'd quite like to have a go at building my own run to replace the run we have at the moment because it only has a half sized door and gets really slippy when it rains :x .

Do those ever panels come off for cleaning out the floor etc, or are they permanent?

thanks :) do you mean the panels of mesh that are bordered off? They're permanent but I think it's going to be very easy to go in through the door and rake up the aubiose.

Also I'm pretty sure Tony said we dont have to do anything apart from apply some sort of weatherproof stuff to protect it like once a year. I cant remember exactly. My mum knows so can ask her if anyone wants?

thanks :)do you mean the panels of mesh that are bordered off? They're permanent but I think it's going to be very easy to go in through the door and rake up the aubiose.

Also I'm pretty sure Tony said we dont have to do anything apart from apply some sort of weatherproof stuff to protect it like once a year. I cant remember exactly. My mum knows so can ask her if anyone wants?

Yes, the wooden frames with mesh attached.

I didn't know wether the run could be taken apart for maintainance (only occasionally), as I was thinking of making it so that the panels could be taken off, just incase one got damaged, if I need to get the hen house out and put a new one in or to get the wheelbarrow in etc.

The photos of everyones runs have been really helpful and given me a few ideas.

Not sure where to post this. Hope here is okay :) I am looking for some trellis 5ft tall and widths of 4ft, 3ft and 2ft to make my chickens run. I can only seem to find 6ft tall of varying widths and not 5ft. I emailed a company today who custom make them, but not heard back yet. I imagine they will be pricey and we are on a tight budget.

Edited to say does anyone know of anywhere we can get some (forgot to say that bit :doh: )

Thank you! :D

Not sure where to post this. Hope here is okay :) I am looking for some trellis 5ft tall and widths of 4ft, 3ft and 2ft to make my chickens run. I can only seem to find 6ft tall of varying widths and not 5ft. I emailed a company today who custom make them, but not heard back yet. I imagine they will be pricey and we are on a tight budget.

Edited to say does anyone know of anywhere we can get some (forgot to say that bit :doh: )

Thank you! :D

I just bought mine from a guy called carl on ebay if you type in aviary panels you should find him and you can get panels and doors and he will send you invoice its £29 del for upto 15 panels and £11.25 per panel for basic but they look solid and the door was £19 Hope this helps.

Thank you! I've just had a quick look but can't find the sizes I need. I shall have a bit more of a look tomorrow.

I think he will adjust to size you want especially in regards to doors he will make to measure send him a message via ebay with your request he has been very helpful with me and more than happy to help x

Yesterday we extended the chicken run to give the girls a soil area to scrat around in.

From the outside with weather protection and shading which you can raise.

17032009678.jpg

Looking through to the old run.

17032009679.jpg

The old part.

17032009685.jpg

Looking through to the new part.

17032009682.jpg

The new part.

17032009683.jpg

Some of the girls in the new run.

17032009692.jpg

Gwyneth making sure she was in the photo.

17032009690.jpg

Looks great! But I'm interested in how you're going to clean the soil part? Or are you just going to turn it over?

Just turn it over and put some lime on it. The girls are outside most of the time anyway, its really only for when I have to leave them locked up for longer than normal. I usually poo pick twice a day, so most of it will get picked up.