Hi,

My husband has been hard at work building me a new chicken run, so I thought I'd try to post a picture of it here. This weekend I'll be able to do the exciting bit and choose 3 new hens as my easter present. I can't wait!

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Here's the girls new run, lovingly hand-built by my wonderful OH (i'm sucking up a bit here!)

2007_04040013.jpg

The Eglus are outside the run to give more space and for easy cleaning

2007_04040015.jpg

The girls have a roosting bar which they all like, although usually only one at a time. The feeders are hooked on wire which is nailed to the outside wall.

2007_04040016.jpg[/img]

There are more photos in my album, click on the link in my signature.

Enjoy! :D

8) Wow, HellyWelly,that does look good! :D No wonder you're pleased, it's great.

Congrats too to Jacqueline, I spent a long time looking at that earlier this evening, it's eggscellent. 8)

Just checking, are you putting paving along the exposed earth along the side, and around the Eglu,? Just thought it looked a bit exposed for a digging creature, the most vulnerable being just where the Eglu meets the run on the right. :shock: But maybe that's the next stage, I think the run design and materials used are terriffic. :D

I love the runs you've all made :clap:

Well after showing CTB the new cube and telling him I like it that the eglu is off the ground hence no more bending down etc the conversation very neatly turned to him building a proper run for the girls and making a platform for the eglu to go on.............. :lol:

Okay so here goes for the silliest question of the week..........

those of you that have the eglu inside the run - do you go in the run to shut the eglu door each night?? If so, dont your girls just come bombing out of the eglu again so say hello???

those of you that have the eglu inside the run - do you go in the run to shut the eglu door each night?? If so, dont your girls just come bombing out of the eglu again so say hello???

Yes i go into the run to shut the eglu door every night :D and only on occasions do they bomb out to greet me - its usually when i want to put them to bed early and its not quite dark & they have just settled, the hen hotel door rattles and they all come leggin' it out :lol: i then have to herd them back in :roll:

When its dark though they just stay where they are so i shut the door and open the pop hole to do a roll call and stroke them before bed :D

Hi Sheila,

You made a very good point about security from digging creatures - we have many in the locality!!!! It is a pertinent point as in the winter we lost Toast Soldier (our Gingernut) after a visit from the fox - mid-morning whilst she was freeranging in the garden.

Luckily the run is very solid (it is made from a security perimeter fence!), and it has been submerged deep into the ground and cemented all the way round. Hopefully it will be an adequate deterrent. Where the eglu meets the run has been welded and firmly secured.

I'm just off for a walk in the woods now, to look for a suitable branch to use as a perch - and a bit of other interior designing ready for the new hens arrival tomorrow.

J :D:D

Regarding security from foxes, we have a double width layer of bricks all the way round the run. I thought that the eglus themselves would be too heavy to dig under but maybe i'll put some bricks around the edge to make sure.

Thanks for all the nice comments about the run, OH will be pleased :D

Hi Helly Welly,

Your OH definately deserves a massive pat on the back, the run looks fantastic.

I think you may have started a trend of multi-coloured eglus, I'm definately tempted to copy your idea - but I think my OH may need persuading to let me buy eglu no 2!

I did a price comparison with http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/ and B&Q

Green chicken wire seemed better online, and silver chicken wire better at B&Q

The shipping is the same whether you get 5m or 50m, so buying in bulk if you need more would save money

silver mesh 13 x 25mm

0.9m x 30m = £49.94 + 6.99 shipping=£56.93 (£18.98 per 10m)

0.9m x 6m = £14.95 + £6.99 shipping=£21.94

B&Q

0.9m x 10m £22.98

silver chicken wire 25mm

0.9m x 10m = £16.96 + £6.99 shipping=£23.95

0.9m x 25m = £23.50 + £6.99 shipping=£30.49 (£12.20 per 10m)

0.9m x 50m = £44.96 + £6.99 shipping=£51.95(£10.39 per 10m)

B&Q

0.9 x 10m £18.98

green chicken wire 25mm

1m x 10m = £11.75 + £6.99 shipping=£18.74

1m x 50m = £69.90 + £6.99 shipping=£76.89 (£15.38 per 10m)

B&Q

1m x 10m = £21.47

I love all the pics of the runs. Yours Helly Welly is of great inspiration mmmm I can see me LSH going :roll::roll: he's not handy with a hammer or any power tool for that matter. If I would like one, I'll have to build it myself!!... now wheres my tape measure???

Where did you get all the wood from?? My mind is working overtime already, glad I start a new job the end of April to pay for it..

We got all our wood from Wickes as they had a better range than B&Q. The wood was 12 foot lo9ng so that dictated the size of the run. The wood is pressure treated so we don't have to paint it.

Good luck with building yours, i could never even attempt such a thing. OH loves showijng off his building skills so i'll have to think of another project for him to build now :lol:

Thanks for that Helly, I would never have thought of trying Wickes.

I've spent this afternoon building an arbour with a seat, I'm fine so long as my OH doesn't pester and come up with ridiculous "man ideas" (he's not at all DIY minded & always states the obvious just to have something to say)

Off to Wickes next week.... :D:D:D:D:D

Did you build the arbour from scratch or was it a kit?

I like trying to build things but I have no inspiration.

I built 2 guniea pig runs after having a look at some in focus diy but they were pretty straight forward, and some hutches for the piggies but they were just great big boxes!

Reg