Janty

What instruments do you play?

I got chucked out of recorder class at primary school as I just could not read music. Very sad. Somehow my grandad's brilliant ear for music didn't get passed down to me. I would love to be able to play the piano.

All of my kids have played instruments at one time or another. DD had a beautiful cello, big keyboard and an electric guitar.

Now YS is playing them but has only had lessons at school and gave them up because they were always at playtime :?

I must book him up with some classes as he's as musical as his big sister.

I played euphonium at school Its like a big tennor horn) and the Eflat bass. 2 years ago I also learnt a fanfare on the trumpet for a show I was in.

I am the least musical of my family but have played Recorder in the past and the steel drums.

Mum plays piano and guitar and can teach both ( and Recorder I think everyone can)

Dad plays a few tunes on the piano plays guitar and teacher steel drums to kids in cheshire

Bro plays guitar (all sorts but is an electric solo genius!) Bass guitar, drums Piano, Keyboard anything he tries he can do despite never having had a proper music lesson in his life (Other than GCSE) he is totally self taught and makes me sick with jealousy!

I'm very :mrgreen: as I don't have a musical bone in my body, despite sitting here next to a beautiful Victorian gothic looking parlour organ (which sounds amazing with all the stops out 8) )

:shock: You have an organ???? What is it like?

What a musical lot we are!!

I play piano, trombone & guitar, and have also tried to teach myself saxophone & flute a bit. Sadly I only have time to practice properly one instrument at any one time, and I've been focusing on the guitar for the last couple of years, and having proper lessons - great fun! I've got a strat and a flying V, which I love. Hubhy plays drums and bass (not both at the same time!) so we practice and 'rock' together.

Have just found a good guitar tutor website:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

PIANO .............. love it. Started aged 37.......

Apart from recorder at school I never played any instrument as a child. I was always envious of those who were "musical". So a few years ago I decided to keep my ear to the ground for a piano. Heard through the grapevine of a free piano if I could collect. I have since found out that people usually give away "dying" pianos as it is cheaper than s"Ooops, word censored!"ing them as they are so heavy. But nonetheless, my free piano, which never holds it's tune, is my pride and joy.

I found out a neighbour is a piano teacher to school children and I asked her if she would give a grown up kid like me lessons too.... I started from scratch, could not read a single note of sheet music. 2 years later (and considerably poorer, as lessons are £10 for 30 mins), I can play piano. It is surprising how quickly you can pick it up.

Although I must say, once I had started lessons, my 11 year old daughter started to take an interest and now has lessons too with the same teacher. She's been playing for 1 year and has now overtaken me and is technically better than me. But I plod on. She plays technical classical stuff. I play, Robbie Williams Angels, or stuff I already know the tune to like Greensleeves, Blue Moon, Swannee River, My Way (Frank Sinatra) etc....

You are never too old to learn....(even if your 11 year old learns quicker :wink: ) ...and you don't need to be able to read music - I just learnt as I went along.

What talented lot you all are! I'm :mrgreen:

I used to play a little guitar at college, just the trendy (at the time) songs, a bit of clumsy strumming, learnt from watching others, no formal musical education, that sort of thing... My oldest son is now learning, let's hope he's more gifted than his mum! My youngest son wants to learn to play drums, however, we've 'convinced' him that keyboard will be the best choice (I wanted him to learn to play violin - but apparently it's not 'cool' for a 6 year old! :shock: )

Anyway, eventually I gave up on torturing family and friends and went for a more silent form of art. After a few years' gap I've restarted painting recently, I have a go at anything (meaning watercolours, pastels, pen, acrylics...) but prefer oils. I just love the plasticity, the way they move across the canvas, the smell... I find it very enjoyable. (And "Ooops, word censored!"ody complains when I'm 'rehearsing'! :wink:)

I still wish I could play properly some musical instrument though... :roll:

Ana

I got chucked out of recorder class at primary school as I just could not read music. Very sad. Somehow my grandad's brilliant ear for music didn't get passed down to me. I would love to be able to play the piano.

I can't read music either and have tried many times to learn I just can't master it :evil:

I have always played by ear and manged quite well :lol:

My uncle has a music shop and has always said it is a tragedy I can't read music as he thinks I would have been quite good otherwise :roll:

Mind you he used to be in a folk group years ago (Tannahill Weavers) they are still on the go now :lol:

His son is in a group which have just released their first EP (Luva Ana) so I guess he knows his stuff :lol:

Anyway, eventually I gave up on torturing family and friends and went for a more silent form of art. After a few years' gap I've restarted painting recently, I have a go at anything (meaning watercolours, pastels, pen, acrylics...) but prefer oils. I just love the plasticity, the way they move across the canvas, the smell... I find it very enjoyable. (And "Ooops, word censored!"ody complains when I'm 'rehearsing'! :wink:)

Ana

I miss painting. I have a few oil paintings on the go. Trouble is, they have been 'on the go' for quite a while.

:shock: You have an organ???? What is it like?

Like this Ginette,

0bce3859.jpg

Great big thing it is, about 6 feet high and weighs a ton I'm sure. After I manouvered it into the alcove I realised I won't be able to get it out easily :oops:

The candles are there for show, not for lighting that close to the wall and on wood!

My Dad's side of the family are all musicians - 3 are music teachers and 2 semi-pro musicians, there's also a sound engineer in there.

So it wasn't 'Would you like to learn an instrument?' so much as ' There's a spare 'cello, off you go.'!

I learned for eight years and did grade 7, also voice and a bit of piano. I let the 'cello drop when I went to uni, but recently bought a piano again and am really enjoying playing it. I hoped the DSs would also learn and DS1 is mildly intrigued. DS2 however is a natural and has already picked up the basics of reading music by working through a basic piano book. I started off with him, but he's the one turning the next page and picking out the notes by following the music - quite amazing how easily he's learning, all I'm having to do is help him with hand position.

DS1 has expressed an interest in learning percussion. :shock:

Well, i started sax lessons when I was a LOT younger but, sadly, I have a good ear for music, which meant that I would play something once then remember it and play from memory. So i never learnt to read music and never got anywhere :roll:

I'm looking to start guitar lessons but I have been distracted - the website for the place I was going to go for guitar lessons also teach DRUMS!! Always loved drums, tribal drums, Stomp style stuff, so emailed the teacher telling him that's kind of what I was thinking of and how it was my mid-life crisis manifesting itself, and I'm hooking up with him on Saturday so I can start lessons hopefully next week!! SOOOOO excited - it's going to be my 40th birthday present to myself. Along with a tattoo that my mum is giving me money towards!

Mrs b

ooh great - where are you going for the 'tatt? I had mine done in Leicester, can't remember the name but I'll find it somewhere.* And what design are you having?

sorry - slightly off topic! :wink: Well done on the drum lessons too!

*edited to add: It was Abody on Loseby Lane - my friend took me there, and I'd really recommend them, lovely and clean and very friendly.

Edited by Guest

Well, i started sax lessons when I was a LOT younger but, sadly, I have a good ear for music, which meant that I would play something once then remember it and play from memory. So i never learnt to read music and never got anywhere :roll:

I'm looking to start guitar lessons but I have been distracted - the website for the place I was going to go for guitar lessons also teach DRUMS!! Always loved drums, tribal drums, Stomp style stuff, so emailed the teacher telling him that's kind of what I was thinking of and how it was my mid-life crisis manifesting itself, and I'm hooking up with him on Saturday so I can start lessons hopefully next week!! SOOOOO excited - it's going to be my 40th birthday present to myself. Along with a tattoo that my mum is giving me money towards!

Mrs b

My goodness Mrs B! Love your midlife crisis! Tattoo and drums 8)8)8) Hope you have fun with the drums! :lol: